Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:29 pm 
Genealogist in Waiting

David: That would be my interpretation too.
Here's an example where, on this continent, a comittee would be struck to plan a process to raise the funds to purchase this property. Much publicity about the plan, raising funds by direct request for corporate sponsors, heritage-interested others, and members of parliament, would ensue. Proposals to the council to sell very cheaply or donate the property as a tourist site....emotional blackmail works well here. Getting a powerhouse group behind the plan.
A business plan of sorts would be developed showing how the property can be utilized to bring in money...and a set of plans; one with restoration, and one with a modified restoration, and one with simply making the place safe, and using the materials already there to build a shop, rest area, meeting rooms. The key is countrywide publicity to recruit stake-holders to give money for 'the cause'.
All volunteers.....
I know you know all this.....but, I'm just thinking......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:41 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

I'm not sure it does mean they own it, I think the document in the link is about planning consent for development/ change of use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:06 pm 
Published Date: 20 October 2005

A national charity could throw a lifeline to one of the Burnley area's most historic buildings that is rapidly falling into repair.

The Landmark Trust will be meeting with Burnley Borough Council early next month to initiate discussions with a view to saving crumbling Extwistle Hall, the privately-owned manor house that lies between Haggate and Wosthorne, and using it for holiday lettings.
The imposing 16th Century house, which has a Grade II star listing with English Heritage and has appeared on its "at-risk" register for many years, has been the target for vandals and thieves, who have made off with slates, stonework and flags.
Local historian and Mayor of Burnley Coun. Roger Frost said the Trust had been involved in a bid to create holiday lettings at the hall around a decade ago, when it was felt that if the building could not be converted into a house, this would be the next best option.
A Trust spokesman has confirmed it is "still interested in the building's plight".
Coun. Frost said: "If the Landmark Trust and English Heritage are involved you would expect the work to restore the place to be of a really good standard. If the Trust can be persuaded to take it on board it could be an almost ideal project for them. I am sure it would attract a lot of people."
When repairing a building, the Trust prefers to mend rather than renew, to preserve its texture and character and, in all cases, buildings are furnished to fit the surroundings. Guests enjoy modern bathrooms and heating, open fires where possible, and a well-equipped kitchen, as well as a carefully selected library of books, a map and history album.
"Our aim is to promote enjoyment of such places by enabling as many people as possible to experience living in them for a short time," said a spokesman. "The letting income this generates pays for the buildings' future maintenance."
Previous plans for the hall have failed. An equestrian and trekking centre never got off the ground and a plan for a "Gleneagles-style" golf course and clubhouse/hotel complex, making use of surrounding land, evoked a protest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:16 pm 
Briercliffe, with Extwistle
BRIERCLIFFE, with Extwistle, a township, in the parochial chapelry and poor law union of Burnley, parish of Whalley, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 2½ miles (N. E.) from Burnley; containing 1498 inhabitants. This place belonged to the De Lacys, one of whom obtained from Henry III. a charter for free warren in "Brerecleve;" and in this king's reign, the canons of Neubo held land in "Extwysell." Monk Hall, in the township, is supposed to take its name from a family, sometimes called Le Moin and sometimes De Monkys, who resided here as early as the time of Edward III. After the Dissolution, the Bradhills, and subsequently the Parkers, were proprietors. The township comprises 2577 acres of inclosed land, exclusive of commons: the surface is uneven, bordering upon the mountainous, with a wet soil; the prospects are very extensive. There are coal-mines, at present not wrought; and stone is obtained in abundance. The Cockden water passes through the township. The population is employed in hand-loom weaving, chiefly at their own homes. The greater part of the township belongs to Robert Townley Parker, Esq., of Cuerden Hall, near Preston. A district church, dedicated to St. James, was built in 1840, at a cost of £1500; it is a neat edifice in the early English style, and is a conspicuous object for many miles round. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Hulme's Trustees; net income, £150, with a parsonage-house built in 1847. There are places of worship for dissenters. The remains of Extwistle Hall, the old family seat of the Parkers, still exist; and vestiges may be traced of a Roman camp.
Brierdean, or Burradon

From: 'Bridport - Brighton, New', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848),

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:24 pm 
An very good description of Extwistle Hall posted under Anything Else thread "A History of the County of Lancaster dated 1911"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:33 pm 
Photographer

From 1996:
5 YEARS AGO: Golf courses planned
From the Lancashire Evening Telegraph, first published Monday 4th Mar 1996.

A MULTI million pound plan to create an international golfing complex in Burnley was to be given the go-ahead this week. Planning chiefs were being asked to approve the conversion of the 16th century Extwistle Hall at Briercliffe and 300 acres of adjoining land into a huge leisure centre. Owners Extwistle Properties Ltd teed off with a £10 million plan to build 18 and nine hole golf courses at Houghton's and Musty Halgh Farms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:02 pm 
Spider Lady

Having seen it with my own eyes today, I want that hall more than ever! What an amazing place.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:21 am 
Computer Whizz

Have you not seen it before Mel? Did you go right up to it for a look round?

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:25 am 
Spider Lady

I haven't seen it before Gloria, never knew exactly where it was until a few months ago. We walked up to it. What a place! I didn't expect there to be an atmosphere there but there was...or was it my imagination?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:28 am 
Computer Whizz

Not your imagination Mel, I think there is a tremendous atmosphere. We could have a seance up there, after Haggate Graveyard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:43 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

Put me down for that one Gloria.

Oh by the way, it's 8.45 am here in Aruba. 25 C and the view out of the window is white sand, turquoise sea and palm trees. Just thought I'd mention it. Set sail tonight for Limon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:52 pm 
Spider Lady

I have just sent you a PM because I thought you were back!
Enjoy it Maureen, you deserve it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:28 pm 
Computer Whizz

What on earth are you doing on here when you have that view????? sounds lovely, enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:36 pm 
Spider Lady

Obviously Briercliffe is more appealing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:01 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

I just had a quick half hour to spare before we went ashore. Just so David knows genealogists (even assistants) don't only do it in the library, some of them also do it in the Caribbean. (Did actually spend some time in the graveyard in Bridgetown Barbados. Sad to say no Leavers, Kippaxes, Sutcliffes or Catlows.
Must dash - the sun's over the yardarm and I feela g&t coming on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next