Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:53 am 

My gt.gt. grandmother was Elizabeth Whitaker, unmarried mother of Thomas, who was his his father??
Elizabeth's mother was Betty,maiden name Smith daughter of Benjamin and Betty Smith born 1794. Betty Whitaker was born 1812 and married James, son of Thomas and Hahhah, Born 1811, died 1850 they had 6 children, Elizabeth, my gt.gt. grandmother was the eldest born 1934 died 1905.
All arerecorded in Briercliffe and at Stoney Raikes for a great deal of time.
Does anyone know the family or can suggest how I find the 'guilty' gt. gt grandfather ? :?:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:01 am 
Spider Lady

Hi Hannah, welcome to the site.
I don't know the family but I'm sure someone will come up with some info shortly.

As for the guilty father. Have you looked at the Poor Law Records for the time. If the mother had to apply for financial aid, she would have had to ask the Poor Law Union who would probably have approached the father for funding, assuming Elizabeth would/could give his name. There may also be something along these lines in the Quarter Sessions. All will probably be available at the Lancashire Records Office in Preston.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:08 am 
Computer Whizz

Do you now when Thomas got married, he may have put his father's name on the cert.
Also I have found one of mine on www.a2a.org.uk when the mother applied for money from the father for her bastard son. I have just tried to get on via the http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/education/record_office/ but it seems to be down at the moment.
Maybe a long shot, but it may give you a start, Thomas could be named after his father so you could see if there are any Thomas' nearby. Might be worth a try.
Good luck

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:27 am 
Computer Whizz

Just a thought, and could be completely wrong.
I notice that on the 1861 and 1871 census Thomas is given as "son", presumably of Elizabeth's mother Betty. Nothing surprising as quite a few did that. But could it not be right? as the name on his birth cert would be the same. Do you have his birth cert?

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:26 pm 

Hi, thanks for the replies. yes Thomas was listed as his grandmother's son ( even though she had been a widow for a couple of years) He later appears on Townley St as a young married adult with the first 2 of his eight children plus Elizabeth, listed as his mother and her sister listed as his aunt. The matriarch of the family Betty had died by then. This info. is correct. No I havn't checked his marriage cert. got birth and death but not that one, thanks for the tip, wonder what the milkman was called at that time? My grandfather was the only one of the 8 to marry, which saves a lot of searching!!!
Is it a complecated process to check details at Lancs Records Office? Have been told by Roger Frost that the Quaker records may have clues in their minutes. Thanks, Hannah

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:38 pm 
Spider Lady

I don't think so but I ahve not looked at much of the Poor Law stuff there.

I visited the LRO for the first time a couple of weeks ago. The staff are really friendly and helpful.
Make sure you take ID with you for the readers ticket. I think the requirements are something with your address on and a form of photo ID.
If you tell them what it is you want to look at, go armed with the date of birth for the child in question. Exactly where was he born? (apologies if you have mentioned this earlier, I haven't read the other messages in much details). Each district had its own union so you will need to be specific as to which unions records you wish to view.

They are there to help you!

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:44 pm 

:oops: My original message gives my earliest ancestors as Thomas and Hannah, nope, got that wrong, word blindness from reading too many documents, it was William and Hannah, Thomas may have been his brother? he was in same area at same time and produced his family at the same time as William and Hannah ( what has that got to do with it? I know , I have gone off at a tangent.)

P.S. Whoever has put together the census has done a brill. job. So much easier to read than the copies I downloaded, thanks.