Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:15 pm 

Thank you for this lovely site. At last I have more time to put into researching my family tree and I am happy to see some connections with other members on here. My grt grandmother was Martha Duerden sister of Professor James Duerden through this line I go back to Jude Shoesmith who was my 5xgrt grandfather, his father James Shoesmith being my 6xgrt grandfather. Another grt grandmother was Alice Stansfield whose father was Robert Stansfield born 1832 Briercliffe. He was married to Mary Ann Astin born Marsden 1837. Robert was a labourer in a cotton mill but also sold eggs (from his own hens I believe) in his spare time to make money. He was resonsible for the building of a row cottage plus a bungalow up on Marsden Heights. The cottages extended round on to Black Hill and the last one was orginally a shop. The row is Heights Croft and the bungalow is opposite. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:20 pm 

I forgot to say a big thank you to Moh for making her research on the Shoesmith's tree available. Alot of hard work gone into that. I have also found that a John Shoesmith was a witness at the wedding of my 4xgrt grandfather another Robert Stansfield born Trawden 1768 when he married Ellen Horsfield in 1798. I will have to see if I can check whether it is the same branch but it does seem quite likely.