Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A Briercliffe Stray
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:15 pm 
Natural Geek

Mel,

Thanks again for the usual amount of detail. Just to get things straight...

Your burial records go to c.1840, but they merely contain name, age and date information, not actual plot reference numbers...?

Burnley it shall be then, I guess. Not too painful a trek and I shall duly get in touch with them first!

Stephen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:14 am 
Spider Lady

No plot numbers given. I don't know if the Church Secretary can provide those - Gloria, do you know?

Makes you wonder how they knew which grave to re-open for a later burial doesn't it :shock:

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:16 am 
Willfinder General

The secretary told me the old graves do not have grave numbers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:59 am 
Natural Geek

I think back in those days, one was just expected to know which plots were which. I was led through an Irish graveyard by a relative a few years ago. The vast majority of the area was unmarked (and woefully overgrown) but he still knew whose plot was whose, and where certain people were buried.

Alas, I'm thinking that there won't be anyone around who can give me such information for Sarah's parents, even when I do locate the actual churchyard!

I think it's going to come down to finding the oldest marked Kippax graves (one of which I remember seeing last time I was at Haggate) and making assumptions based on them, I guess. People did tend to get put into more familial plots back then, so I suppose a vague assumption could always be made that if a headstone is showing a husband and wife, that perhaps the previous generation of the husband's family would either be there or thereabouts, too...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:08 pm 
Computer Whizz

The old part of the churchyard did not have grave numbers, I am pretty certain on that point. If the grave did not have a stone there is no way of finding out just where the burial was.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:13 pm 
Computer Whizz

I have Joshua Kippax buried in the oldest part of the Haggate Churchyard in 1847. His father James is in St Peters Burnley 1769.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:46 pm 
Natural Geek

Gloria,

Joshua appears - from mine and your own research - to be the 1st cousin of Robert's father, Joseph (1761-1851). This makes your James K (1719-1769) the brother of Robert's grandfather, another Robert (b. 1724). Dunno when Robert died (yet) sadly. I have his marrige (1756 to Betty Skelton) listed at Colne, though. Not sure if that helps me work out where he ends up buried, though...!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:19 pm 
Computer Whizz

I haven't got a death of a Robert Kippax which could be him.
I have a Robert Kippax son of Robert and Betty, born Haggate, christened St Bartholomews, Colne 5th Feb 1764, so he was alive around then.
We've probably been over this before but sometimes it triggers something going through it again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:29 pm 
Natural Geek

Gloria,

And I'm sure we'll go over it again :P

I have a Robert Kippax son of Robert and Betty, born Haggate, christened St Bartholomews, Colne 5th Feb 1764, so he was alive around then.

This chap would appear to be the son of Sarah's Great Grandfather. I hadn't come across this reference before! This places him as a sibling of:

Joseph (bap 06 DEC 1761 Burnley)
Susan (20th Feb 1767 Susan d Robert Kippax of Haggate bap. same time as cousin John s. James)
Tabitha (1769 Aug 17th Tabitha d Robt Kippax of Haggate bap. same time as cousin Joshua s. Susan)

So 'old' Robert is still around by 1769 as is, presumably, his wife, Betty Skelton (of whom I know nothing more!)

My belief is that this 'old' Robert, like your James (1719-1769) are two of the children of Edward K (the bastard son of Edward K and Grace Simpson)

Shoot me down if you wish, but I think this all ties together quite nicely :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:02 pm 
Computer Whizz

I think you are spot on Stephen. I come back to that conclusion every time I get my teeth back into this family.
The way I look at it, by process of elimination, I cannot find any other way of looking at them.