Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:00 pm 

This is probably one for Rex. At 47 Regent St Nelson. (between Derby St and Crawford St. Now a Kitchen Firm) is an old Sunday school where all the description signs including foundation stones etc has been chiselled away. Any ideas to which Chapel the school may have belonged to.
The best I can make out from the Header Sign is "Methodist free Sunday School." Some of the houses in this area can date back to the 1860's

Attachments:
P4030076AC.jpg
P4030076AC.jpg [ 26.04 KiB | Viewed 8149 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:33 pm 

Thank you for your touching confidence in what I might know, or be able to find out !

One of the best sites for information is the British Newspaper Archive, for which I currently have a subscription [without a sub you can search indexes and see snippets.]. The Burnley papers are well represented, and often of course carry news for Nelson, Colne, etc. [No Nelson Leader or Colne Times on site]

Burnley Express, 3 April 1895. Sale of work to raise funds for the United Methodist Free Church, Regent St. Debt on premises currently £420, £70 raised.

Now Bennett, in History of Marsden and Nelson, gives United Methodist Free Church, new chapel opened 1886, he doesn't say where. On Stanley St from 1870 ('old chapel opened'). Formed 1865 by seceders from Salem, met initially in Co-op Rooms. Salem was 'Independent', not Methodist.

So I think we have a result, this time !

Rex

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:31 pm 

Thanks Rex, Always wise to go to the fountain head. The Chapel and Sunday School on Stanley St has been demolished and replace by the Salvation Army Church. The Chapel on the corner of Stanley St and Every St is now "The Technology Centre". I have a date stone for this at Ist Aug 1896. Since both of these had their own school I think the Regent St Free Church is a stand alone enterprise.
I'm just reading through Bennett's book at the moment but haven't got to the religion bit yet.
Thanks again.