Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tooth Pulling
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:18 pm 
Computer Whizz

Pretty sure Bobby Elliot didn't go to Haggate school, we would have heard about that.
Tony Hicks went to Walter St school in Brierfield, pretty sure about that.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:41 pm 
Willfinder General

My Dad lived at Duke Bar (Holbeck street, I think), and then moved to Atkinson street, Harle Syke. Maybe it was a school near Duke Bar then. I know he didn’t go to school at Brierfield.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:34 pm 

:D I notice the mention of the Hollies has got a good response from us girls!!! Bobby Elliott was the one I fancied. My rather fierce Grandma took my to a slide show at Elim Church on Briercliffe Rd, I was about 13, the equipment broke down, so to fill in the time someone put on a 45 of the Hollies ('that for the young one's was a type of record we listened to in booth's before we bought). The single was, Glad all over, at the appropriate part, we young one's stamped our feet, then I remembered who I was with!!!!! When I looked at her, she smiled sweetly and joined in with a ladylike foot tapping ( much like H.R.H!) Those were the days. :wink:
Good music and dentist that didn't require a second mortgage to get work done.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:10 pm 
Librarian

My fav of the Hollies was Alan Clarke, but I thought the single 'glad all over' was by The Dave Clark Five.

Stephanie. (60's girl.) :wink:

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:46 pm 

:oops: Yeh, your right,but I fancied Dave Clarke as well, my memory is obviously clouded, too many men, too little time!! That is my excuse and I'm sticking to it. I obviously have a thing about drummers?

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:47 pm 
Spider Lady

Chipped my tooth yesterday. :( Visit to the dentist on Wednesday anyway but had expected to walk away with a 'see you in 6 months'. No chanc eof that now!

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:06 am 

Burnleymasher wrote:
I remember clearly when I was about 8 years old having toothache, me Mum and her brother took me to a dentist who lived up Abel Street I think, it was just a terraced house and he had a chair in his front room, there was a window to the right of the chair and a sink in the far left corner, he sat me in the chair and started chatting to me Mum and Uncle Malcolm, all the time his hands were shaking. Uncle Malcolm (he was only about 16 himself) became upset for me and insisted to me Mum that we did'nt stay, luckily me Mum agreed with him, what with his hands shaking so much and the state of the room they were rather put off. I cant remember where I eventually had that tooth out, but I also have some nasty memories of the school dentists clinic, it was enough to put a kid off dentists for life, in the footwell of the chair were previous occupants extracted teeth, I kid you not, it took me a long time to overcome my fears, it was when I was a teenager and had to go for an extraction, I came across the most wonderful dentist ever and he cured me of my fears, and for that I will always be eternally grateful to the lovely man who is now deceased.

Stephanie.

LOL ! I remember the school clinic with no unpleasant memories.

Most baby teeth were played with until the came out. We used to put the tooth under the rug in front of the fire hoping the tooth fairy would exchange it for either thrupence or sixpence. :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:22 pm 
Spider Lady

Former Burnley FC footballer and musician dies - Hollies drummer Bobby Elliott tribute
http://www.burnleyexpress.net/news/loca ... _1_3179484

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!