Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:36 pm 
Computer Whizz

Hi, I have found John Edwin Boulton in the 1881 census
Name Age
Thos. Boulton 42
Sarah Boulton 41
William Boulton 11
Thos.S. Boulton 9
John E. Boulton 7
Living in High Street, Hanford, Staffs. I can't read Thos occupation, perhaps someone else can make it out.

Name Age
Thomas Boulton 33 born Hanford
Sarah Boulton 28 born Sideway?
William Boulton 1 born Hanford
Thomas is a jointsman on railway and they are living in Hanford.

Possible 1861
Name Age
William Boulton 47 bricklayers labourer born Market Drayton
Sarah Boulton 43
Thomas Boulton 23 born Hanford Railway labourer
Elizabeth Boulton 17
Charles Machin 2
living in Hanford

Hope this is of some help
Gloria

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:50 pm 
Spider Lady

Well done Gloria!! This comes into my neck of the woods.

Hanford is just off junction 16 of the M6, Sideway is part of Stoke itself and only about a mile from Hanford. People of Hanford had a choice of at least 3 CofE churches depending on the time period. There was the main church at Trentham (quite an old Church), there is St Mathias at Hanford and there is St Peters in Stoke (also an old church).

Happy to help if I can. I'm on the doorstep for Hanford.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:27 pm 

Hi Sheila here,
I can't believe after all this time I have found someone!!! Thank you Mel for a start.
Sarah Jane Bolton must have been the big sister to Thomas Bolton!
I have traced Sarah Jane down the line and she is deff mine. Her Mum was Harriet and Dad Hugh, and then I'm lost. Sarah's husband was Thomas Holt. My Mum was Jeanie Anderson Holt, Thomas' great great grandaughter. I got stuck with Harriet Crompton after that and went off the boil, but I have found out huge things and am really enjoying it.
I found folk that might have been Harriet and Hugh's relations, but the info is back at home and we are on holiday in France.
We visited Rochdale and found out a lot, and then Bolton, known before as Bolton le moors, and I think the Holts originated from there too. That is probably why they knew the Boltons! I think Thomas Holts father was James and Mother was Ellen, possibly Ellen Davies. But I'm stuck here! Isn't it something to know we walk in these folk's footsteps?
Sheila

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:32 pm 

I'm not so sure that The next thomas is right as why would he call his first born William when it is not a family name and not in the right place?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:56 pm 
Spider Lady

Naming traditions were not set in stone - the couple may have just fancied a break from tradition.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:22 pm 

WOW Gloria, you are awesome.

Wonder if that John Edwin Boulton (b 1873) is my GG Granddad that I have married to Francis Jane Soulsby that had Louisa, John, Thomas and Francis! I know I had a great Uncle John and Frank, Thomas being my Granddad.

Then that would also potentially make the Sarah Boulton (a nee Stockley Sideways b 1864) per the Christening mug I have. I could be totally off track on this as I am very new to starting to find my tree.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:56 am 
Computer Whizz

Ha ha I've been called a lot of things but awesome is a first :lol:
Do you have the marriage cert for your John Edwin Boulton who married Francis Jane Soulsby as it will have his father's name on it, and his occupation which will narrow it down?
I have found a marriage of a John Edwin Boulton, Newcastle under Lyme, Sept qtr 1898 but that was to either Frances Cronin or Annie Evans.---interesting two Frances'!! yours and this one.
There is a marriage for a Frances Jane Soulsby, London 1889, to either John Bolton or Edward Dixon-----would yours have been married in London?
Gloria

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:20 am 
Computer Whizz

1901 census
Name Age
Thomas Boulton 63
John Edwin Boulton 27
Frances Boulton 27
Louisa Mary Boulton 1
Thomas is down as John Edwin's father. They are living in Hanford. Thomas is a railway signalman, cannot make out what John Edwin is.

1911 census same family plus more
Name Age
Thomas Boulton 73
John Edwin Boulton 37
Frances Boulton 38
Louisa Mary Boulton 11
John Boulton 9
Thomas Boulton 7
Francis Boulton 1
Francis Lovelace Tomlinson 34 boarder
Marjorie Stevens 10
Claude Stevens 8
Mary Emily Lewis 24
Living in Hanford. John Edwin is a railway clerk. The bottom three are not on the actual transcription so I am not sure who they are.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:16 pm 

Haha Gloria, glad I could give you a first :-)

Hanford sounds more likely than a London marriage. I do not have a marriage cert yet as trying to get my ducks in a row first, since I moved to the States some 20 years ago. I might be very wrong on the Soulsby, as mentioned I am a total rookie on this right now.

Went from Peter Boulton 1932-2004 his parents Thomas Boulton 1904-1966 that married Madeline Agnes Sarah Smith 1903-1968, Thomas' Dad John Edwin Boulton married (now a ?), and a Christening mug with Thomas Bolton 1839 date on it. Now where my family added the "u" is unclear too LOL. I do know Thomas and Madeline are buried at Trentham Cemetery.

Gloria, you seem to have a great source of information, do you subscribe to ancestry.com or something?

Appreciate all your help.
Jo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:07 pm 
Computer Whizz

My sub with ancestry runs out later this month, so I will probably wait to see if they have any offers before I renew it. I do dib into other sites, mostly free ones. And there are also sites like this (Briercliffe Society) where there are people who help. I am also a member of LFHHS which has a very helpful forum, but you have to be a member to get into that. All in all the info I manage to find comes from various places. Oh and the familysearch site.
I wouldn't worry too much about the "u" in the spelling, a lot would have been down to how the word was said and how the person doing the writing heard it. Mel would probably be able to fill you in better on that as she's from Staffordshire and will know how it sounds.
Going back to the census I have found the 1861 family in 1851 where it gives William Boultons birth place as Dilborn Staffordshire, not Market Drayton as it says in 1861
1851 census
Name Age
William Boulton 39 agricultural labourer
Sarah Boulton 34
Thomas Boulton 13
Mary Boulton 9
Elizabeth Boulton 7
Living in Hanford.

1841 census in Hanford
Name Age
William Boulton 25
Sarah Boulton 20
Thomas Boulton 3
William Boulton 1

I would like to think that the christening mug for Thomas Boulton 1839 was the Thomas in the above two censuses.
Bit stuck on Mary Akers and Sarah Stockley but I will keep looking.

Gloria

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:40 pm 
Spider Lady

Dilborn should be Dilhorne - it's in what is now the Staffordshire Moorlands, between Caverswall and Blythe Bridge (or Forsbrook)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:46 pm 

Ohhh Gloria, you are spot on again :-)

Just spoke with my Mother and the Boulton line is from Hanford. They had a family house there.

The only reason I was wondering about the "u" is that my last name has the "u" yet the mug does not and it came from my family line on my Dad's side, who (including me) were born in Stoke, yes we are all mugs born and bred ;-) So it does look like that Thomas at 3 years old is my relation though.

I did find this website, although I'm sure you have seen it before http://www.staffordshirebmd.org.uk/cgi/ ... ffordshire

Have a feeling Mary A and Sarah S could be from my Grandmothers side.

Thanks again Gloria for sharing and looking this up, I'm sooooo excited seeing all this info.

Jo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:36 pm 
Computer Whizz

Glad to have been of help, let us know if you need any more.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:36 am 

Gloria you have been amazing and I thank you so very much.

If I may ask one more question to you? I noticed that Thomas Boulton 1839 married a Sarah (born in Sideaway, maybe a Stockley?) and also his father William married a Sarah, any info on William's Sarah? Did I get that right?

I'm going to join Ancestry.com once my Mother sends me the documents she has so I can cover both trees and hopefully I can answer any questions you or anyone else might have in return for this wonderful information Gloria has sent me.

Sheila we might be related via Thomas and Sarah! Thank you Mel and Sheila for starting this ball rolling.

Kindest
Jo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:12 am 
Spider Lady

I have to ask Jo...curiosity getting the better of me - where in SoT were you born and are you still in the area?