Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: William Graves
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:37 am 
Spider Lady

I have received the following query by email, can anyone help? I have had a look in Rogers book but I didnt spot anything really specific. I half think I might have seen the name Graves on one of Th' Owd Syker articles, I'll check it.

"I think I have just found information on your website about the birth of my grandfather William Graves, at Batty Hole in Briercliffe (on the 1891 census).Do you have any knowledge of the confectioners shop he later owned , I think it was in Harle Syke and did Wedding and Funeral teas.The baker for this business was Grace Storey,originally from Starbotton in the Dales. I hope I still have her recipe book!"

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:40 pm 
Storey's shop and cafe was on Burnley Road. According to my mum Grace Storey was a wonderful baker. People came from far and wide to buy her produce. My mum also recalls that school children from Haggate were allowed to buy pie and peas there for their dinner. This would be late 1920's. Grace's husband was called Bill and always wore a bowler hat.

My mum and dad had their wedding reception in the cafe above the shop. By this time 1946 the shop was owned by Gladys Simpson who had previously worked and been trained by Grace.

Post subject: William Graves
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:10 pm 

With reference to your Grandfather William Graves, I only know of him from the Census records. My Grandmother, Hetty Graves was Williams sister, she married Walter West in 1915.
Another sister was Ada Kay (nee Graves) she rented a house owned by Bill Story (usually known as Story Bill). My mother also rented one of Bill's houses when she got married in 1937.

This link between William Graves and Bill Story explains why they lived in Bill Story's houses.
Also I had to go to Story's shop to get cakes every Saturday although there were two cake shops nearer to where we lived. Now I know the reason why.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:54 pm 
Computer Whizz

I used to go in Storys. They made great currant teacakes, lovely gooseberry charlottes, meat pies, gravy and peas-----yummy.
Would love to read the recipes.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.