Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Family Tree Maker
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:30 am 
Genealogist in Waiting

Just bought the 2012 version as I am signed up for a class in geneology and family tree making and this is the software they have recommended. I have heard mixed reviews. What is your opinion??

Post subject: Re: Family Tree Maker
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:29 am 
Spider Lady

Most programs do the same thing. There is (to my knowledge) only one that strays from a standard 'template'....the name of it escapes me at the moment. Senile dementia? I've always opted for the free download of PAF (Personal Ancestral File) from the Latter Day Saints website although I have used FTM when Kris loaned me an old copy some years ago. I tried it, it was OK and did all that I would want family tree software to do and was easy to use. I returned to PAF though as it also serves the purpose. One of the main reasons I use PAF and don't spend money on other software is because this obsession can be expensive enough with research websites (Ancestry, Findmpast etc.) and then also the cost of certificates, documents and the occasional book....and don't get me started on the travel costs of you are not in the area of your research.

One word of advice Sue, if they tell you one site is better than another (e.g. ancestry better than Find My Past or vice versa), do your own research before you tie yourself into a subscription. Both sites have census access and BMD indexes but then their collections vary. Compare which will provide the best coverage for your district of interest...you being so far away makes this more important than ever.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:16 pm 
Genealogist in Waiting

:) Thanks, Mel!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:23 am 
Sage of Simonstone

I've used it for a number of years and it does what I need. BUT when I went from windows XP to Windows 7 I had to get a newer verion as the old one wasn't supported. A new (and very irritating feature) is that you can no longer create a decendant report etc and then copy and paste it into Word. All you can do is either print it or 'share ' it. So, for example, putting it on here would mean typing the whole thing out. So annoying but i'm sure it's deliberate.