Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Woabank Family
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:15 pm 

[quote="portia"]I did a skeleton tree. It looks like this to me:
Descendants of John WOABANK

Generation No. 1

1. JOHN1 WOABANK was born 1791. He married SARAH UNKNOWN.

Children of JOHN WOABANK and SARAH UNKNOWN are:
i. HARTLEY2 WOABANK, b. 1827.
ii. MARTHA WOABANK, b. 1832.
iii. HENRY WOABANK, b. 1834.
iv. JAMES WOABANK, b. 1839.
v. JOSH (JOSEPH?) WOABANK, b. 1821.2.
vi. JOHN WOABANK, b. 1826.
vii. SARAH WOABANK, b. 1829; m. THOMAS LEE, 12 Nov 1849, St James's Church, Briercliffe.

Thankyou for this tree. I've been chasing my grandad's side of the family for a while and have just returned to my grandma in Briercliffe.

Joseph Woabank (above in red) married Alice Rushworth b 1821, daughter of William Rushworth.
They had a baby John, who died aged 11 weeks in 1856.
It seems they changed the spelling of their name to Wallbank after John's death - on the gravestone he is Woabank, but when they join him they are both Wallbank.

Alice was my great great great grandad's sister.

This is a great site for me. I have learned loads about my family, albeit slowly, and have met some cousins I didn't know previously, so thanks again to everyone involved.

Debbie :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:56 pm 

Debbie

Although I have posted on this previously, I am surprised that those following the Woabank line have not reponded.

I maintain that Woabank is simply a corruption of Wallbank. John Wallbank married Sarah Harrison on 3 February 1817 in Thornton in Craven
Further, he was the son of William Wallbank and Grace Hindle on Trawden/Wycoller. Reference to this family appears in John Bentley's, A Portrait of Wycoller. For a short span of years they occupied Foster's Leap and Smith Clough or Smithy Cote.

My research is original, and has been verified by reference to some pedigree files at Colne Library.

I am myself particularly interested in the names of Wallbank and Hartley of Lothersdale/Harden and Thornton In Craven.

Ormers.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:18 am 

Hi Ormers,

Apologies for not responding to your previous posts. Have been rather tied up with something else for a wee while.
The name change is fascinating and completely logical. I always thought Woabank was a very strange spelling. So, John Woabank b. 1791 was the earliest individual to be recorded using the new spelling. I guess that, due to illiteracy, any misspellings can go unnoticed for ages until a literate family member corrects it.

I now have a few days to get stuck into a bit more investigation so will knuckle down.

Claire

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:41 pm 

Hi Claire, my mother Mabel was a Woabank, daughter of William Woabank, born 19/5/1882. He was the son of John Woabank born 18/4/1850. I have a list of dates of birth for many of the Woabanks:
John - June 5th 1824
Ann - December 7th 1822
Ellen J - July 19th 1846
William - August 1848
John - April 19th 1850
James - Sept 25th 1839
Hartley - December 10th 1853

There are other names on the list given to my mother, but no dates:
Margaret
James
Sarah Ann

I have not had time to go through all the other posts, as I have only just come across the site, but I hope it will help.