Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:02 pm 

Re: Descendents of John Nutter. Annie29750.

I was so interested to find details of my grand parents in your article and also g grand parents.
I have some confirmed facts for you as follows:

1) Page 16: Sarah Nutter died April 7th 1885 aged 34. (In Memoriam card & family records).

2) Page 17: Mary Anne Bannister (my great aumt) died July 19th 1940. (Documented on the front page of The Church of Christ Magazine in November 1940). She resigned in 1934 due to ill health and deafness not at the start of the war as stated in the article.
Mary was an excetionally well known missionary for the Church in Nyasaland (Malawi) following in the footsteps of Livingstone and her diaries make very interesting reading describing her imprisonment and her having to witness the slaughter of members of her mission during the uprisings in 1915.. Here is an excerpt from an article by Jerry Cutter on the Early history of Malawi:
http://www.newtestamentchurch.org/opa/Articles/1991/06/OPA19910605.htm

February 12th, the following scene was witnessed by the Church of Christ missionaries.[i] "I went out to find a scaffold... the first I have ever seen. "They have been busy all day building a new scaffold. It is awful. This has been the most miserable day have had since I came here..." "They bring in fresh prisoners every day: quite a number have been shot and hung." What is going on here?. These scenes are being witnessed by the first Church of Christ missionaries ever to work in Malawi (at the time Nyasaland) and, moreover, they themselves are in detention at Zomba. The year: 1915. The above quotations were from the diary of sister Mary Bannister, a spinster from England, who had come to Nyasaland in June of 1912 to help in the mission work directed by brother George Hubert Hollis. Hollis was originally from Australia. In all, seven were detained: Bannister, Henry and Etta Philpott, and the Hollis's and their two small children, ages one and five. At first they were housed in tents at Zomba and were often cold, sick and heartbroken. "It was a miserable situation, especially when the Hollis's children became sick." "Then began the sad process of watching the prisoners who were brought into the camp, and then even sadder fact of realizing that some of them were from their own mission, or had had connections with it at one time."
Mary is buried at Haggate and I was saddened on a recent visit to see her grave open and in a very poor state.

Page 22: James Bannister (my grandfather), the missing bridge is QUAKER BRIDGE.

Finally on page 22 you state "according to Jill Bannister" - I was wondering if she could be a relation and if so could you give her my details so we may compare notes?
I am very keen to find details of my g gfather Henry Bannister' of Trawden's parents (page 16) if anyone can offer help.
Thank you to all concerned for such a great site!

David James Bannister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:49 am 
Spider Lady

Hi David, welcome to the forum.

I have replied to your email this morninf, I hope the info proves helpful.

Mary appears to have led an interesting life. I'm not sure I would like to witness the things she writes about in her diary though. It sounds dreadful.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:21 pm 

Hi David
Mel sent me a message & I emailed Jill. I see that she has replied. At the time I never looked at other messages on the forum as I was busy on another branch of my tree over Yorkshire way, but today as I was browsing I saw your post about my Nutter file. I am so sorry that this is such a late reply and a belated thanks for the extra info!
I often wonder about the 2 of Henry & Sarah's children who were adopted. Do you know anything of them in later life?
Thanks again David
Annie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:28 pm 

Hello Mel
Thank you for putting me in touch with Jill we have exchanged a lot of information.
As regards the 2 adopted children Robert and William. I know they survived till older age as I have a photo of all the siblings taken when they were in their 50s/60s.
If you wish to have a copy I can send you one.
Regards
David

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:49 pm 

Annie here David. I'm so glad to hear the adopted children were ok and thanks, I would love a photo.
Annie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:00 pm 
Spider Lady

Would I be allowed to show it on the website please? If anyone on the photo is still living, it would be wise to ask their permission first.

Annie, I have removed your email address from the message and will send it to David on a PM. You could end up with a lot of unwanted spam by adding your address to a forum topic. Hope you don't mind my interference.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:30 pm 
Spider Lady

I have received your emails David, many thanks. I have sent you a reply but I'm not sure if I will end up in your spam folder. Let me know if you've not received it and I will send the same message on a PM.

I will add the pictures at the weekend, thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:22 pm 
Spider Lady

My apologies for the delay, your pictures on now on the site David.
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Pho ... isters.htm
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Pho ... nister.htm