Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Procter/Proctor/Prockter
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:59 am 

One of My ancestors Susan Procter lived and farmed at Spout Houses on Marsden Road. She was buried at Haggate aged 88 in 1881. She married Edward. She started having children in 1815. I have found a marriage for a Susan Rushworth and Edward Procter in Clitheroe, but cannot find a connection. However I note that there are Rushworths in Reedly Hallows and Susan on various census does put her place of birth there. Neither can I find a baptism for Edward. The different spellings of the Proctor name don't help. Does anyone know of this family. I know one of the granddaughters Elizabeth married William Shoesmith in the early 1900's.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:15 pm 
Spider Lady

Not sure if this will help Gill, another forum member added some Proctor records some time ago

Births
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=215

Marriages
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=216

Deaths
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=217

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:38 am 
Sage of Simonstone

Gill,
I have this family on the fringes of my tree. I've never added the Rushworth marriage as I never proved to myself it was the right one - that said I haven't tried too hard as it's not mainstream tree to me.
I'm sure Rex once said that people from Reedley Hallows often went to Clitheroe for marriages so it is a fair possibility.
My info about this family only goes forward from Susan & Edward but I'll pm it to you if you want it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:53 am 

Hello Maureen. Thankyou that would be very helpful. Aren't families illusive. I have one lot who changed their surname when they were in their 30's, so they are proving most difficult.