Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:07 pm 

Hi again everyone I thought I would post some updated information on the forum as my BRITCLIFFES now seem to be BRIERCLIFFE. We think now that John BRIERCLIFFE married Hannah Belfield in Oct 1825 in Rochdale she was from Smallbridge. Even though their 4 children were christened Britcliffe in Rochdale (St. Chad) I've been following up on the above couple's son James Briercliffe who married Alice COTTAM in Manchester in 1852 and had the following children William m Jane Alice FOX, James unmarried, Elizabeth m Robert WIDDUP, Alfred m Jane Watson DICKSON, Thomas m Marth Ann MILLS, John m Martha Hannah STANDRING, Abraham m Elizabeth Ellen WHITWORTH. All in Rochdale. James Briercliffe snr died in 1897 and Alice died in 1895 in Rochdale. Even though James was listed on the 1841 Census as Britcliffe he is Briercliffe on the other census' that I've found and his marriage certificate is Briercliffe. I cannot find the family on the 1841 Census though, I thought they would be in Rochdale but can't seem to find them yet. Any help much appreciated Kind regards Dianna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:42 pm 
Computer Whizz

They obviously don't have James with them in 1841, but what were the names of the other children that would have been there then?

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:57 pm 
Computer Whizz

I have looked at the pages before and after James, thinking they would have been in the same district, but haven't found them there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:09 am 

Hi Gloria the only other child is Charlotte their other daughter Mary (my ancestor) we think was living on the streets of Manchester or in a Factory in Cheshire/Chester. So you can see James Britcliffe but no other Britcliffes was there any Briercliffes? I did find two deaths for a John Briercliffe in Salford in 1859 and one for Hannah in 1854 also Salford the only reason I thought that this maybe them is because their son James Briercliffe was living there and married in 1852 to Alice Cottam. Thanks again for your help it's a puzzle isn't it. The only other explanation is that they did in fact die before 1841, were in the poor house or they were living somewhere near Mary or out trying to find her somewhere. Thanks very much for trying to help I really appreciated it Dianna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:28 am 
Computer Whizz

No there were no Briercliffes either in the area.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:39 am 
Computer Whizz

There is a 16yo Charlotte living as a female servant in Markland St, Great Bolton. She is with a family of Briercliffes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:45 pm 
Computer Whizz

1841 Harewood Yorks
John Brearcliff aged 40yrs farmer
Hannah Brearcliff aged 30yrs
Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 1287; Book: 14; Civil Parish: Harewood; County: Yorkshire; Enumeration District: 5; Folio: 5; Page: 4; Line: 15; GSU roll: 464251.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:19 pm 

Hi gloria thanks again the Charlotte you found was this on the 1841 census aged 16 Charlotte was born in 1833 so would only be about 8/9. Also were is Great Bolton. Who were the other Briercliffes mentioned with her. Thanks for find this John and Hannah don't know if they are mine or not. It gets very confusing doesn't it. anyway thanks again kind regards Dianna

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:27 pm 
Computer Whizz

William 45 ---butcher
Margaret 40
John 12
Ellen 9
Joseph 6
Margaret 3

For Great Bolton I googled it and found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Bolton

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:12 am 
Spider Lady

http://www.burnleyexpress.net/peek-into ... 6494691.jp

The ups and downs of the Briercliffe family of Burwains

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:11 am 

Hi Mel wow this is interesting to add to the my family story. I placed a reply to someone who was making an enquiry about this Harold Briercliffe a little while ago but didn't receive a reply. I'm quite sure he is related to my Ancestor Mary Britcliffe through her brother James. How can I find out who wrote this article I suppose I could email the newspaper couldn't I as it is a recent article, perhaps the author could pass my email on to the person who wrote it that would be great. Thanks so much for thinking to do this it could really help with my research Dianna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:18 am 
Spider Lady

The article was written by our very own Roger Frost. He is on our committee.
I'll send you a pm with his address. It is very easy to find online but we do make a point of not broadcasting other peoples addresses. He has an email address but is not very good with a computer so good old fashioned snail mail will probably be your most reliable route.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:49 am 

Hi Mel Snail mail is fine with me, I'd really like to write a letter to him and maybe he can fill me in on some details or pass my details on I'd really like to make contact with Harold Briercliffes family from Rochdale as I'm sure he descended from James Briecliffe and Alice Cottam of Rochdale. Thanks very much again this is great. Kind regards Dianna