Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Greenwood anyone?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:30 am 

There were/are lots of Greenwood's in Burnley but i'm struggling to find anyone that knows my lot! Any Greenwood family here on BSF? Show yourselves!!! :)

Post subject: Re: Greenwood anyone?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:41 am 
Sage of Simonstone

Glenys
I have a few Greenwoods on my tree (VERY distantly related) but I doubt they're any of yours. Anyway, on the off-chance - here they are

Descendants of William Greenwood

Generation No. 1

1. WILLIAM1 GREENWOOD was born 1811 in Whitehough, Lancashire. He married MARY UNKNOWN. She was born 1820 in Whitehough, Lancashire.

Children of WILLIAM GREENWOOD and MARY UNKNOWN are:
i. JAMES2 GREENWOOD, b. 1834, Whitehough, Lancashire.
ii. THOMAS GREENWOOD, b. 1835, Whitehough, Lancashire.
2. iii. MARGARET GREENWOOD, b. 1838, Whitehough, Lancashire.
iv. MARY GREENWOOD, b. 1840, Whitehough, Lancashire.

More About MARY GREENWOOD:

v. HANNAH GREENWOOD, b. 1844, Whitehough, Lancashire.
vi. ELIZABETH GREENWOOD, b. 1845, Whitehough, Lancashire.
vii. WILLIAM GREENWOOD, b. 1850, Habergham Eaves, Burnley, Lancashire.
viii. JANE GREENWOOD, b. 1857, Habergham Eaves, Burnley, Lancashire.

Generation No. 2

2. MARGARET2 GREENWOOD (WILLIAM1) was born 1838 in Whitehough, Lancashire. She married JAMES MEDLEY 1868 1, son of WILLIAM MEDLEY and ALICE UNKNOWN. He was born 1839 in Hobstones, Colne, Lancashire2.

More About MARGARET GREENWOOD:
Census: 1851, 20 George St Habergham Eaves, Burnley3

More About JAMES MEDLEY:
Baptism: 28 Sep 1840 4
Census: 1891, 134 Accrington Rd, Burnley 5

Child of MARGARET GREENWOOD and JAMES MEDLEY is:
i. ARTHUR GREENWOOD3 MEDLEY, b. 1868, Burnley, Lancashire.

More About ARTHUR GREENWOOD MEDLEY:
Baptism: 21 Feb 1869, Salem Chapel, Burnley

Endnotes

1. BMD Index, Burnley 3/1868 8e p305.
2. BMD Index, burnley 12/1839 21 p205.
3. Census return, 1851 Piece: 2252; Folio: 172; Page: 30.
4. International Genealogical Index.
5. Census return, 1891 Piece: 3370; Folio 137; Page 18.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:03 pm 
Computer Whizz

My husband is a Greenwood, but not a Burnley Greenwood--they came from Oldham.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:04 am 

My Gt Gt Aunt was a Sarah Ann Harrison who married William Greenwood (born Holt Hill c.1868) in 1897. He was the son of Moses Greenwood and Ann Shackleton. He is the one on the photo archive > Briercliffe Families > Ann Greenwood and family.

Mo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:09 pm 

Glenys
It's been a while since I've logged on but I'm still a Greenwood, any names and dates to see if your lot are my lot?

Mosiefish is connected to mine by her Gt Gt Aunt marrying William Greenwood (b Holt Hill 1868) who was one of the brothers of my grand-father Joseph Greenwood also on the photograph I posted of Ann Greenwood and family.

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:46 pm 

Thanks all who replied to this thread. No bells ringing unfortunately but then I only have a small (but vital) Greenwood connection:

Searching for family connected with
Betty Greenwood (Buried at St John the Evangelist) Great Marsden
Age 59
from Clough Head

Son of Betty Greenwood: Jonathan Greenwood
Baptised 6 July 1823 St Bartholomew Colne
Abode; Southfield

Daughter of Betty Greenwood: Sarah Greenwood
Baptised 5 Oct 1834 St Bartholomew Colne

Marriage of Jonathan Greenwood and Susannah Nycross 12 August 1860
St John the Evangelist, Great Marsden

Marriage of Sarah Greenwood and Robinson Shackleton
19 August 1860

Birth of John Greenwood
(Child of Sarah Greenwood)
Baptised 3 June 1860

If anyone here has any connections with this family I will have won the lottery!

Glenys

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:26 pm 

Glenys,
The Greenwoods you detail aren’t my Greenwoods but I do have some information regarding Sarah Greenwood and Robinson Shackleton. Robinson was brother to Ann Shackleton who married Moses Greenwood my great grand-father.
From the evidence available it appears Sarah was born between 1 Jan 1832 and 7 Apr 1832. Census 1861(taken on 7 Apr 1861) shows her age as 29, Lancashire BMD shows her age at death as 30 (Died in Dec Qtr 1862), my only concern is baptism 5 Oct 1834, but it does happen.
Sarah and Robinson had a daughter Ellen born between Apr-Jun 1862.
The Census records show Sarah’s son John as John Greenwood (1861), John Greenwood Shackleton (1871) and John Shackleton (1881) – I have images of original censuses.
Robinson married again in 1866 to Elizabeth Rycroft, they had two children a daughter Maretta 1873 and a son Roger 1876.
M.I. Haggate and Hill Lane (Posted 8.9.2007 – briercliffesociety.co.uk) gives additional detail regarding Shackleton and family but unfortunately Sarah isn’t included. Having looked back I now realise you’ve already seen this information.
Hope this is of some use to you, if it is and you need any further details give me a shout.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:21 pm 

I remember a Selina Greenwood (unmarried) living at the farmhouse opposite the Craven Heifer she had a sister who lived with hubby somewhere at the other side of Burnley. She would probably have been born 1900 ish. They were born at the farm and were weavers in the Syke I believe. :?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:46 am 
Willfinder General

Evening Post, Volume CXXXIV, Issue 25, 29 July 1942, Page 3 (New Zealand)
MISSING
GREENWOOD, George, Pte. Mrs. S. H. Gorman, 164 Melville street, Burnley, Lancs., England (m.).
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bi ... +burnley--

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:56 pm 

Hi Chris, thanks for your note on the Greenwoods and Shackletons. John Greenwood is my relation and I have probably reached a dead end with him because he was Sarah's child before she married Robinson Shackleton (born the same year and just before they married). It doesn't mean to say he wasn't a Shackleton of course but I'm not sure how I can go about proving it.

I completely forgot about Ellen! and you have reminded me that I ought to go down her line and see what I can find.
Many thanks,
Glenys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:57 pm 

Thanks to all who have submitted Greenwood info here
Glenys

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:22 am 

My Husbands Great Grandfather was Thomas Greenwood who was born on Standish St, Burnley on 17th December 1850 and died on May 1st 1920. His Father was John Greenwood (1816-1883) who was married to Mary Marshall. John's father was William Greenwood born c.1790 in Hapton and who married Mary Whittam at St Peters church Burnley on 18th September 1815.

I also have information about Gibson Greenwood ( 1852 - 1902) and his family in my husbands tree as he married Ellen Harrison who was my husbands first cousin 4x removed in 1873.

I have just remembered that I also have Greenwoods in my tree - my 5th Great Grandmother Sally Greenwood possibly born January 16th 1763 and died 1827 and married to James Croasdale/Crossdale at St Peter's church on September 5th 1793. I don't know anything else about this Greenwood family, apart from the fact that they were from Briercliffe - unless anyone can tell me different :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:08 am 

hello Greenwoods,

i was interested in helping with finding the Greenwoods. I think there are just as many as the trees found in a green wood(!!)
Well, mine began with a maternal gran called Ada G. she had two sisters Margaret and Mary. She married my grandad in about 1919 as my dad followed in 1920 (honeymoon baby?) She had an elder brother called John Greenwood . I have their wedding photo - Grandad still in WW1 uniform - John also. He came a family of four sons and 2 daughters called Stanworth.
carol.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:44 pm 
Spider Lady

Welcome to the forum Carol. My apologies for the delayed approval. I've only just spotted your post

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:44 am 

There is a mystery as to where Thomas Greenwood is buried, he died on May 1st 1920 and I have searched all the registers for Burial grounds but can't find any trace of him, I think the only place I haven't searched is Wheatley Lane because I can't find any transcripts of the burial registers but I'm not sure why he would be buried there, he was Burnley born and bred and apart from a spell in the army he lived in Burnley so there is no reason for him to be taken out of Burnley for burial, the only other thing I considered was whether he had been cremated!