Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:34 pm 
Photographer

Don't encourage her Gloria. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:39 pm 
Spider Lady

You lot make me sound terrible.
I asked David eversonicely if he would mind looking out for the Mason/Halstead stone the next time he was in that area. How was I to know he would go the same day and that he would hang around and take another 140+ pictures! (Extremely grateful mind you).
I've barely touched St James graveyard by the way :wink: :twisted:

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:03 pm 
Computer Whizz

Subtle as well with it. :wink:

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:14 pm 
Spider Lady

You like my style? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:50 pm 
Genealogist in Waiting

David
My father had a little brainstorm...and remembered that his father was in the Pioneer Regiment during WW1. He also said nobody wanted to send for the medals or papers...so they are probably still sitting in someones drawer just waiting for me to apply for them!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:21 pm 
Photographer

That is very true Suzy. I remember that we applied for my father's WW2 campaign medals not too many years ago.
You should send for them Sue it is part of your history.
David

Post subject: War medals
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:35 pm 
Genealogist in Waiting

I will...my dad doesn't get that at all!! Why would I want them?
I just do!
So...one more question...do you have an address?
And ..thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:32 pm 
Photographer

Suzy
It would appear that unlike WW2 medals WW1 medals were issued automatically to other rank soldiers. So your grandfather should have received these automatically.see the following:
How do I find out if any of my ancestors were awarded medals for World War I?
After the 1914-18 War, all campaign medals were automatically issued to the medal earner or, if deceased, to the next of kin. Records of the medals awarded to each serviceman are held in the National Archives at Kew and are available to the public. For a small fee these medal cards can be viewed online at the National Archives website.

Can I obtain replacement World War I medals?
The MoD Medal Office is not able to provide replacement World War I medals. You may wish to purchase replicas or original named medals from a reputable medal dealer or a private medal company.
Veterans

So unless you have the medals in your family already Suzy I think you may be unlucky. Kris may be more knowledgable on this than I am though.
Best regards
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:48 am 
Willfinder General

DAVID B wrote:
Suzy
It would appear that unlike WW2 medals WW1 medals were issued automatically to other rank soldiers. So your grandfather should have received these automatically.see the following:
How do I find out if any of my ancestors were awarded medals for World War I?
After the 1914-18 War, all campaign medals were automatically issued to the medal earner or, if deceased, to the next of kin. Records of the medals awarded to each serviceman are held in the National Archives at Kew and are available to the public. For a small fee these medal cards can be viewed online at the National Archives website.

Can I obtain replacement World War I medals?
The MoD Medal Office is not able to provide replacement World War I medals. You may wish to purchase replicas or original named medals from a reputable medal dealer or a private medal company.
Veterans

So unless you have the medals in your family already Suzy I think you may be unlucky. Kris may be more knowledgable on this than I am though.
Best regards
David

I found this on the subject
http://www.veterans-uk.info/medals/claiming.html

The vast majority of Service personnel receive campaign medals awarded to them while they are still in the Armed Forces, as they are required to be worn for ceremonial duty and other functions for which their uniform is required. If, however an individual leaves the Armed Forces before the medal can be issued, it is his or her responsibility to claim them from the Ministry of Defence Medal Office. As a result, there are still many veterans who have not received the medals to which they are entitled. By far the largest group of veterans were those who were in the Armed Forces during the Second World War.

As a general rule, most Second World War Service personnel were not issued with medals before they were de-mobilised at the end of the war and consequently they had to claim them after they had left the Services. This differed from the arrangements at the end of the First World War when the majority of medals were sent out automatically. This was not considered to be practical after the Second World War, as most people had returned to 'civvy street' before the medals were instituted and manufacturing commenced in the late 1940s. The task of locating them individually would have been an enormous and hugely expensive task. It was decided at the time that only those people who remained in the Armed Forces would receive their medals automatically. Everyone else had to claim them. Although the availability of medals for wartime service was widely advertised at the time, many people, for a variety of reasons, did not do so. Even now, nearly 60 years later, several hundred veterans, or their next of kin, still make an initial claim for Second World War medals, every month. They were, and still are, issued in the first instance free of charge. Medals can be issued to the legal next of kin of deceased ex-Servicemen/women, however proof of kinship will be required.

To claim medals which never before have been issued, replace stolen/destroyed medals (see below for special instructions), or find out if an individual is entitled to a medal, please write to the medal office at the address below. The following information (or as much as possible) will be required:

Service Number, Regiment/Corps (Army/RM), Branch/Trade (RAF and RN), Full Name, Date of Birth, Rank and date of discharge, plus, of course, your current name and address. At the moment, the medal offices are unable to accept claims or queries by e-mail.

As a large number of people have not claimed for their medals until now, there is usually a backlog of requests, all of which are dealt with strictly in the order the claims are received. All claims are dealt with as quickly as possible and there are teams of skilled officials who work on this task all the time. Every effort will be made to acknowledge and process claims in a timely manner, but please appreciate that if you are claiming a medal for service performed many years ago it will be necessary to recover files from the archives, which will take a little time, so please be patient.

All information about medals issued to First World War veterans is held at the National Archive at Kew.

Claims for medals for service in the Home Guard are also dealt with by the MOD Medal Office.

Contact the Ministry of Defence Medal Office at the following address:

Service Personnel and Veterans Agency
Building 250
RAF Innsworth
Gloucester
GL3 1HW

Email: JPAC@afpaa.mod.uk
Fax: 0141 224 3586
Free Phone: 0800 085 3600
Overseas Civ: +44 (0) 141 224 3600

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:21 pm 
Willfinder General

suzycue44 wrote:
David
My father had a little brainstorm...and remembered that his father was in the Pioneer Regiment during WW1. He also said nobody wanted to send for the medals or papers...so they are probably still sitting in someones drawer just waiting for me to apply for them!!

Details of Sue’s Granddad’s Medal Card

Name: HALSTEAD, J.
Corps: Royal Army Service Corps
Regiment No.: SS/18964

Corps: Royal Marine Labour Corps
Regiment No.: D/9866/S

Medal
Victory
British
1915 Star (RASC/6B21 / 5786)

Theatre of War first served in:
Date of Entry therein: 26 October 1915

Royal Army Service Corps http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/corps/RASC.htm

Royal Marine Labour Corps http://www.1914-1918.net/labour.htm

British Medal Forum http://www.britishmedalforum.com/index. ... 909c5a2af5

Post subject: Robert Halstead
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:38 pm 

I have a Robert Halstead whose parentrs I believe were Lawrence, a Stone Mason and Mary born Briercliffe 1857 who married in 1889 Susan Heap (June Qtr Vol 8e Page 1062), the daughter of John Heap and Mary Procter.
I have their children as Christine, Mary and Doreen.

Shattonblade

Post subject: Lawrence Halstead
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:21 pm 
Genealogist in Waiting

Hi, there
I do have a few Lawrences throughout my tree, however none, as far as I can tell, with the same connections as you list. I'm not well versed in the research....but I can assure you that whoever else reads this posting will help you if they can!

I have a Lawrence born 1883ish, son of Robert Halstead and Ellen of 1 Nelson Road, Briercliffe...a store...the one pictured on the homepage! Lawrence's siblings would be John Robert (my great grandfather), Edwin, James (died at age 16, memorial card in the archives), Mary Jane, Tabither.
Not sure if this is what you need.....
Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:16 pm 
Computer Whizz

I think Lawrence Halstead married Maggie Brierley March qtr 1906. She was the sister of my gt grandmother. I have no further details on Lawrence, but I do on Maggie's ancestors.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:19 pm 
Spider Lady

I have received several memorial cards from Sue today. I will get them online asap but it will be after tomorrow. I should be in a soaked Wakefield all day.

Have I seen a Brierley connection amongst them Sue?

Post subject: Robert Halstead
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:10 pm 

A slight misunderstanding - my fault - my posting was designed to help other researchers ! I am quite happy with the information I have.
"My" Robert Halstead was in fact a Grocer and Provision Dealer. Although born in Briercliffe he seems to have ended up in Brunswick Street, Blackpool
Shattonblade

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next