Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Lord, Halstead
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:09 pm 

Hello everyone,

my Great-Great-Great-Great-Grandfather John Lord (b. 1806 in Earby) married Ellen Halstead (b. 1806 in Pendle Forest) on 7th January 1827 at St. Peters in Burnley.

According to the Lancashire Online Parish Records John was a weaver living at Extwistle Hall within Extwistle and Ellen was living at Hill End within Briercliffe.

I know from later Census records that they lived in Briercliffe/Haggate until 1831, where 3 children, James (1828), Hartley (1830) and Margaret (1832) were born, before possibly moving to Foulridge and then to Colne (1841 Census - Buck Street), where between 1833 and 1841 further children John (1834), William (1835) and Priscilla (1838) were born.

In 1851 they appear to be living in Buck Croft, Colne, and have another daughter Ellen Jane (1846).

In 1861 John, Ellen, Priscilla, Ellen Jane and Mary Martha (1852) are living in Belle Vue, Great Marsden.

In 1871 John and Ellen are living with daughters Ellen Jane and Mary Martha at Prospect Place, Earl Street, Colne.

Now from information I received this week from a lady from Colne on Ancestry it appears that when living at 2, Buck Croft in 1851, that Jonathan Boothman was living with his wife Mary Boothman (b. 1813 in Earby) at no. 5. Also living with them was his sister-in-law Ellen Lord (b. 1824 in Earby) and his mother-in-law, Jane Hirst (b. 1770 in Thornton). Jonanthan Boothman, from what I have been informed, was the brother of Richard Boothman, who was initially found guilty of the murder of Special Constable Joseph Halstead during the Colne Riots of 1840.

During my searches I have also found a Thomas Lord (b. 1819 in Earby) who appears to have lived in Habergham Eaves and possibly Burnley (I have so far found a Thomas Lord b. 1819 in Earby in 3 different census from the Burnley area and with 3 different wives, so am not sure if it is the same person).

What I am now trying to do is determine if John, Mary, Thomas and Ellen are brothers and sisters and Jane Hirst their mother. Did their father die and Jane remarry? I don't know. If they were direct family did they ever live with their parents in the Briercliffe area, eg. in Extwistle? Who were Ellen Halstead's family. Was Hill End the name of the farm or an area in Briercliffe?

Currently I am unable to find anything out that is not available online, since I now live in Germany.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Regards,

Paul

Post subject: Re: Lord, Halstead
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:13 pm 
Spider Lady

My apologies for the delay in approving your messages

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:58 pm 

No problem, Mel.

I may have stumbled on the record of John Lord's birth :-).

I examined one of the original census records for Mary Boothman and noted she appeared to be born in Eastby and not in Earby. I then decided to check the records in Embsay and Eastby on FindMyPast but couldn't find any birth records for the area and decided to try Skipton, since when I looked at the marriages Skipton was always displayed in the overview. Instead of Mary I have searched for John and found the following record in FindMyPast (http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?i ... f207889598).

There is a John Lord (b. 24.06.1805; bap. 12.01.1806), son of John Lord of Skipton, a cotton carder, son of James Lord, late of Burnley (I believe) and of Jane, daughter of John Windle of Earby, weaver.

The official transcription is slightly different (http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?i ... f207889598), stating the mother's name as Jane Winale, but I am pretty certain it should be Windle.

This would also make it plausible that John Lord snr. died and Jane Windle remarried Robert Hurst or Hirst. I have found the 1841 census http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?i ... hts=%22%22), which shows that Robert Hurst (b.1776) was living at Foundry Street in Habergham Eaves with Jane Hurst (b. 1781), Ellen Lord (b.1824) and 2 others.

I can't be 100% certain I have the right records but it is pretty convincing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:00 pm 

Looking good on the Lord side, but I would be interested to see if anyone could come up with anything on who lived in Extwistle Hall during the first quarter of the 19th Century and who could have been Ellen Halstead's family.

Re. Jane Windle I have now found a Jenny Windle (b. 4.2.1781 in Thornton in Craven). Her father's name was John Windle, weaver, of Earby and her mother Mary:

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?i ... f203941683

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?i ... hts=%22%22

On 21st Jan 1802 Jane Windle married John Lord in Burnley:

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?i ... 580008%2f2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:08 pm 

Sounds as if you might be a Burnley football fan living in Germany, or is it less exotic ?!

Hill End is away on the left as you go from the Haggate crossroads down towards Lane Bottom (ie northwards), really before the hill starts to slope much. Not far then from Haggate itself.

Rex