Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Buck
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:25 pm 

Hi everyone,

Does anyone in the society have the name Buck in their family tree?

I just discovered one of mine, Francis Morris Buck, originally from Brierfield, who seems to have blown in.

He was at 4 Chapel Court in the 1911 census, and his probate record (which I just posted to the Wills forum) gives his address 9 Nelson Road Haggate.

He isn't the only Buck from my family tree who settled in Briercliffe; there were others, but I'd have to dig out their names.

I'd be very interested to hear anything about Bucks in Briercliffe, and especially if there are any gravestones - I don't see any in the website.

All information gratefully received.
Dave

Post subject: Re: Buck
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:59 am 
Spider Lady

Have you searched the forum Dave? There's about 30 matches, many are not referring to Buck as a surname (it appears in general text) but there are a couple of references that may be of interest to you. (search is top right of the forum page)

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:06 pm 

Hi Mel,

Yes, I'd searched. If only I'd noticed the links at the bottom of the results leading to two other pages of results. :oops: Silly me

I can claim the Edgar Buck at 4 Chapel Court who was quoted in the article about the fire at Haggate Primary School.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=626&hilit=buck&start=30

He was the son of Francis Morris Buck whose probate entry I posted.

Does anyone have a date for that edition of the Burnley Express, or better still a date for the actual fire? The best I can manage is 1962, from a more recent article on the Burnley Express's website.

I can also claim the William Buck, Stone Mason, who was mentioned on the indenture of John Ormerod

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1598&p=8609&hilit=buck#p8609

He lived at "Nutshaw, Hapton" in the 1861 and 1871 census (I think that's actually at Clowbridge) and moved to Pine St before the 1881 census.

The other two William Bucks might be mine too - I think I need to do some more research.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:15 pm 

I can remember Francis Buck the coal man who lived on Haggate he had a brother Edgar,who went to live at The Hill or Hill Farm Briercliffe,a brother Ernest who lived near Robin Cottages,sister Mary Annie and sister Lena.Lena had the corner shop at the corner of Burnley Rd and Todmorden Rd.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:18 pm 

Hi Sylvia,

Yes, that's the family. Their father was Francis Morris Buck, who married Elizabeth Heap. There were two other children, Harold and Sarah Ellen. One more, Irene, died in infancy.

Dave

sylviac wrote:
I can remember Francis Buck the coal man who lived on Haggate he had a brother Edgar,who went to live at The Hill or Hill Farm Briercliffe,a brother Ernest who lived near Robin Cottages,sister Mary Annie and sister Lena.Lena had the corner shop at the corner of Burnley Rd and Todmorden Rd.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:10 am 
Spider Lady

An earlier comment says the fire was 17th May 1962

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:47 am 
Spider Lady

I've just stumbled on this news snippet...

Burnley Express and News

May 20, 1936

Briercliffe
Fined at Lancaster.-At Lancaster last Saturday, Ernest Buck, of Robin Quarry, was fined £3 for speeding with a heavy wagon at Ellel, and Francis M. Buck, of 9, Nelson-road, Haggate, was fined £1 for not having the weight and speed painted on the vehicle.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:09 am 
Spider Lady

A couple more...

Burnley Express and News

April 23, 1949

Briercliffe
Late Mrs Buck.- The death occurred on Wednesday of Mrs Elizabeth Buck (67) of 9, Nelson-road, Haggate. A native of the village, she had a life-long connection with Hill-lane Baptist Church. She leaves a husband, four sons, three daughters and 11 grandchildren. The funeral takes place today at Haggate Baptist Chapel

Burnley Express and Burnley News

Wednesday, August 2, 1944

Briercliffe
The death took place suddenly last Thursday in Victoria Hospital, following an operation, of Mrs Edna Buck, 12, Tennyson-street Harle Syke. Aged 30 years, she had lived in the district all her life, being born in the Sun inn, Haggate. She was employed as a weaver at Queen-street Mill up to three years ago, since when she had been managing her husband's butcher's shop in Railway-street, Brierfield. Her husband, Driver Roland Buck, is serving with the R.A.S.C. in France.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:24 am 
Spider Lady

And another !

The Burnley News

Wednesday, April 18, 1917

Briercliffe Soldier Wounded

Mrs. Buck, of 6, Back Halifax-road, Briercliffe, has received a field card stating that her son, Private Harry Buck, has been wounded while fighting in France with the 8th East Lancs. Regiment. Private Buck was at one time engaged at the Queen-street Mill in the warehouse, but more recently assisted his brother, F.M. Buck with the coal carting business. He has been a considerable time in France.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:34 pm 

Hi Mel,

thanks very much for those snippets.

Francis M. in the first snippet is the starting point of this thread. Ernest is his son.

Elizabeth (2nd snippet) was Francis M.'s wife.

I'm having trouble identifying Edna and husband Roland (3rd snippet). They married in 1935 according to lancashirebmd: Roland Hanson Buck and Edna May Stanworth. I haven't found a positive birth record for Roland yet, although I did find a 1912 death for a Roland Hanson Buck in Shrewsbury, so maybe he's a blow-in, although I can't completely discount him because Anna (4th snippet) was born in Shropshire.

Mrs Buck of the 4th snippet is Anna (nee Morris). Harry would be her son Henry, who married a Maretta Stacey at Holy Trinity, Habergham Eaves, in 1905. Maretta died in 1907 and as far as I know Henry didn't remarry.

All the best,
Dave