Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: HALSTEAD OF bRIERCLIFFE
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:30 pm 

Looking for relatives of my great-grandmother Ruth Halstead 1856-78, daughter of James and Elizabeth Halstead of Briercliffe. Ruth married John Higson, but died 2 years later. Their daughter Ada (my grandmother) was brought up by Ruth's sister Olive.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:24 pm 
Genealogist in Waiting

Well....who knows? this could be promising!
There are a lot of Halsteads from Briercliffe....my family included.
I am Susan Halstead (now Kerr), daughter of Jack Halstead born in Briercliffe in 1916. His father was James born Briercliffe, 1895...and his father was John Robert Halstead born in Burnley in 1870. He would be my great-grandfather. He married Martha Hirst of Briercliffe, where they lived all their married lives. John Robert's parents were Robert Halstead and Ellen Procter. (There is a photo of this last Robert Halstead standing in front of his shop in Haggate in the photo archives of this website). I do not know the names of this Robert's siblings....and I am assuming from the dates that your Ruth and Olive would be the right age to possibly be a sister.
I have not had the time yet to do a lot of geneology and I feel awful about it. But I know that once I start I will be addicted...so I procrastinate.
Have you seen the Halstead Collection in the photo archives? My dad donated all the photos (that otherwise would have languished for another decade or two in cardboard boxes)....and you will find photos of John Robert and his father Robert, the shopkeeper.
Perhaps you have delved further into your family....and so you may have found other siblings' names of Ruth and Olive...and if they did have a brother Robert who married Ellen Procter...then....bingo!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:36 pm 
Computer Whizz

Mine link with Sues.
My gt grandmother Martha Brierley married James Kippax. One of her sisters Maggie Brierley born 1883, married Laurence Halstead in 1906. The parents of Laurence were Robert Halstead and Ellen Proctor who married in 1858 30th October.
Gloria

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:24 pm 
Genealogist in Waiting

Yay! Love these links!!
I have Robert and Ellen's data...and somewhere I have the names of all their children, which includes your Laurence and my John Robert.
I have the original birth certificate of John Robert, whose parents were Robert and Ellen (nee Procter).

( I do have several original birth, marriage an death certificates. I think I should bring them to give to Mel at the April meeting before they get lost or otherwise destroyed.)..Sorry you won't be there, Gloria.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:48 am 
Spider Lady

I can store them with the photos Sue :)

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:48 pm 
Genealogist in Waiting

OK...I will make a point of bringing what I have.....looking soooo forward.....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:12 pm 

Hi all Halsteads! I knew there were lots of you and have met some via Genes Re already.

Ruth's siblings were:
Elizabeth 1839
Margaret 1840
Mary 1843
William 1845
Ann 1847
Bannister 1849
James 1851
Dorothy 1853
Olive 1860

Her parents, as I said earlier, were James 1816 & Elizabeth (Leavers) 1814
Her grandparents were John 1774 & Sarah (Watson) 1782
Her gt-grandparents were William 1750 and Agnes (Sagar) 1749
The last2 lines were passed on to me by another researcher, so can't verify them.

There's no Robert, I'm afraid, so I'm not sure if and how the two families are related.
I'd love to hear more, if possible. Must correct myself on Ruth's death year, which is 1780. She married John Higson in 1778.