Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Peels of Pendle Hill
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:28 pm 

First time on here, so Bear with !

My Peel family lived on Pendle Hill (Wilken Heys) for 100 years, most from Pendleton, Sabden, but originating from Bolton by Bolland, on a memorial Thomas Bulcock who married Ann Peel of Harrop Hall, lost her and their newborn son on Christmas Day 1835, leaving him to raise their only son Thomas Peel Bulcock, on his death, for some reason he could not be buried at Downham with Ann and the newborn, and in sorrow more than I can describe he proceeded to erect monuments in memory of his son, one at Clough Head Farm, Twiston, one near the Keep at Pendleton and his own grave at Whalley Parish Church. Does anyone have any other information regarding this.

They lived for 30+ years at Major House Clitheroe, and I fund a newspaper report to say that a skeleton had been found in the garden 2nd August 1898:
A number of workmen engaged in alterations behind Major House, Clitheroe, have discovered in the course of the excavation the skeleton of a human body. All the bones were found, except the skull, buried in quicklime at a depth of three feet. The condition of the bones suggest that they have lain there many years. The is no clue to their identity, but the circumstances of their discovery point to a crime having been committed. !!!

Now I know of the Bulcocks in the Pendle Witch Trials, and I know it is a long time ago, but I have let my juices run freely on this one, there is a Bulcocks Farm in Pendleton, and I know there are previous marriages of Bulcock and Peel in my tree, the connection to Pendle is fascinating, and I know that my relative Robert Peel who died 1922 died in Laurel Cottage ( the house he was born in) Pendleton, and is described as a Pendleton Worthy and tenant of the Huntroyde Estate for 50years, his favorite time in life was whilst living at Craggs Farm twixt Pendleton and Sabden, does this property still exist. Hope this whets someones appetite and answers and information are forthcoming. In Anticipation. Sharon

Post subject: Re: Peels of Pendle Hill
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:46 pm 
Computer Whizz

Hi Sharon, welcome to the site. What an interesting tale you told, and how sad it was. There's a bit about Craggs Farm here---http://heritagephotoarchive.co.uk/p157383104/h37CBBE79#h37cbbe79

Gloria

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:51 pm 

There is some general information on the Huntroyde estate if you follow this link:

The Starkie Family of Huntroyde in Lanccashire, England, United ...
http://www.thornber.net/famhist/htmlfiles/starkie.html
Starkie Family of Huntroyde near Clitheroe, England, United Kingdom. ... tenant farmers of the Starkies of the Huntroyd Estate

Ruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:02 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

What a really sad story. I'd love to know more - how did you know that he wanted to bury his son with his wife and other son but couldn't?