Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Duerdens and Kippaxes
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:34 pm 
Natural Geek

Just trying to finally get my head 'round something that's always confused me. Namely...what relation are Sarah and Elizabeth Duerden (nee Kippax) to John Kippax?

John Kippax (1815-1889) - a brother of my Great Great Grandmother.
John married Maria, four years his junior with whom he had a son, James in early 1847. Maria died seven years later in July 1853, and John subsequently remarried Elizabeth Watson in Spring 1861. He, a weaver, was 44. She was 26 and the daughter of Edmund, a carter.

In 1881 they were living in Halifax Road in Marsden. John was 64 and still a cotton weaver.

John died at Schofield in Lane-Top, Marsden aged 74 in December 1889. His son James died in December 1921 aged 75.

Confusingly, the gravestone of John, Maria and James also includes:

“Sarah Ann wife of James DUERDEN died February 6th 1930 aged 47yrs
Elizabeth DUERDEN died March 3rd 1962 aged 81yrs
Amos her husband died May 17th 1963 aged 84yrs”

I do not know what connection these have to the Kippaii.

The two women were born Kippax. Elizabeth was born in 1881 and Sarah Ann in 1883. Elizabeth had married Amos Duerden in February 1902. She had been living at 100 Halifax Road at the time. and Sarah Ann married James Duerden in 1908. They had children Elizabeth (1909) and Benjamin (1919).

In 1891 Elizabeth appears to be at Brierfield aged 9 and at Brierfield (daughter) in 1901 aged 19.

I've managed to get this far using only free resources, but was wondering if anyone knew anything more about how they connect? I thought it might be possible that Elizabeth and Sarah were John's grand-daughters via his son James, but I'd just like it confirming!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:19 pm 

I really do love your plural term for a bunch of Kippaxes! I shall use that in future. It seems to me that most of the families round Briercliffe were so intermarried that you have to chart it all out to see relationships, in some way. That's what I've been doing with all those Jacksons, Leavers, Kippaxes, Foulds, Emmots ( and Emmets) and Burrows.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:41 pm 

Hi,

I do think that the girls are the daughters of James (1847) son of John. Unfortunately it looks like James married Mary Martha Duerden :roll: in 1868 at the register office or a non conformist church according to LancashireBMD, so we can`t look it up for you. Sarah and Elizabeth are registered with the mothers maiden name Duerden along with the rest of their siblings.

Looking through the various census with no age specified in the whole of Lancashire, there is only your James born anywhere close to 1847. He is a widower living with Sarah on the 1911. His wife Mary Martha would appear to have left him as he states married on the 1891 and 1901 census. She turns up living in Burnley on the 1891 with married daughter Maria and husband. In 1901 she is living alone in Nelson.

If you need any census details let me know. Oh! and if you can`t find him on the 1881 census , he has been enumerated as John, but it`s definitely him.

Kind regards,
Mo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:37 pm 

:?: This isn't the current Duerden family who lived in Kings Causeway and were the watercress growers for the area is it, or is yours a different branch.

I would have updated info. on that family from about 1910 ish. if it helps you.

Two brothers ran the family firm. Edward and a brother who's name, I'm not too sure about it.

There were James and John as names coming through to present days and and there is a link with Brierfield Walter St School about 1919 .