Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Barker family tree links
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:56 pm 

I have been researching the Barker family and my link begins in West Yorkshire with William Barker born about 1821 in Burnley according to census records. I searched on 'Ancestry' to find more links and think that he was the son of James Barker a weaver and Sarah Harrison as this was the only Burnley record I could find for the correct year, his baptism being on 2nd December 1821 at Burnley St Peter's. Their place of abode on the baptism record was 'Monk Hall, Extwistle', hence the message I now send. I have a photo of William Barker's (1821- 1871) grave at Mount Zion/ North Halifax, his age and date of death, and the family links all fit from his move to Halifax and his marriage. That's the easy bit as I can see how things panned out through census records. Going back pre 1841 is more difficult.
Whilst searching online I found this website and James and Sarah Barker nee Harrison were referred to.
My search has taken me to a possible William Barker father of James Barker who was baptised 24th April 1785 and William and Susan Harrison of Burnley parents of Sarah Harrison born 24th June 1797. This seems to contradict the William Ormerod /Sarah Barker (Harrison ) marriage ( her parents beingGeorge and Betty Harrison), though I have been unable to find another James Barker who married a Sarah, fitting the dates for their son William.
In addition, the James Barker who married Sarah Harrison was also a weaver as was Williams father on the baptism record.
I do realise that there are probably loads of William and James Barkers and working as weavers too, but if anyone has any information which could shed any light on the above mentioned people I would be very grateful.
I did also look up the marriage of William Ormerod referred to on the forum and his marriage to Sarah Barker (possibly nee Harrison) but the record says Sarah Barker was a 'spinster' not 'widow', could this be a different Sarah Barker?
At the end of the day I am trying to find out if my Barker connection links to Monk Hall and if so, why James Barker was living there. Here's hoping this all makes sense!!