Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:57 pm 

I am trying to build up a picture of the Cheshire family. They had a tailor's shop in St James Street in Burnley under the name of Messrs Alfred Cheshire Ltd. I have a copy of their balance sheet which shows they were trading in 1949. As I am not from the area, I have no idea about what happened to the family business.
I am particularly interested in details of Gertrude Emily Cheshire. She was born in 1872 and was my Great Grandmother on my maternal side. I believe that her father was Alfred Cheshire.
She had three children, but I have not yet discovered if the children had the same father. Their names were Doris McCowes, Alfreda Willson and Lorette Aubin.
My grandmother was Alfreda Wilson. She was born in 1904 and died in 1990. She spent most of her life living in Chester, fostered by a family with the surname Brannan.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Paul Ison

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:12 pm 

There are plenty of mentions of the firm in the Burnley papers, available on the British Newspapers online site. I have an annual sub, a month is about £12 I think.

Many of the items are adverts. However, from the Express of 5 Aug 1950, it is seen to be closing down, or rather, taken over. Alfred is noted as being manager in the 1870s, and later took over the firm.

Listed in Barrett's 1953 Directory of Burnley however at 84 St James St. The new owners must have retained the name (given as a limited company).

St James St is the main west-east thoroughfare through the town.

For the family details, the censuses would be the first port of call.

Rex