Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Elijah Kippax
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:21 am 

Hi,

I'm a direct descendent of Elijah Kippax - he was a preacher at Haggate Chapel. I've found his headstone on this website.

Has anybody manage to link to Elijah in their family trees? I believe he was the illegitimate son of Nanny Kippax (b:1828 in Briercliffe) and Tomas Taylor, hence should not have been a Kippax really. That came as a bit of a shock to my family! Nanny's parents were Robert Kippax (b1797 in Briercliffe - lived in Lane house and then Lane Bottom) and Mary Jackson (b:1806). That is where everything starts to become uncertain. I believe that Robert's father was James Kippax (baptised 1761 in Colne) who was the son of James (b1735 ish) and Susan Nutter (b 1739 ish). It is this last two links that I am trying to verify as, if I do descend from James and Susan Nutter, I will be quite excited as I now know of two other Kippax family lines which also descend from this family: one from James' son John and another from his son Joshua, the latter of which is mentioned on this website.

So - can anybody help me? I'm interest in ideas as to how I can prove the above. I'm also interested in any information which is available regarding what Elijah got up to when he was a preacher at the chapel (my dad is a vicar, so it will be interesting to know if the preaching style runs in the family!). I'm prepared to share the research I have in return.

Thanks!

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:53 am 
Computer Whizz

Welcome to the club Paul, there are quite a few of us who have got back to James 1735'ish or maybe he is 1718'ish. It is my Kippax lot on this site. No one seems to be able to find his birth, I have been to the records office in Preston for days going through every parish register I can think of. We have a good idea who is father is but absolutely no proof. His son Joshua I found at Stockport along with a few other siblings, the rest at Colne (think that is right without looking). I will have a good look for you later today.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:57 pm 
Computer Whizz

Hi Paul, back again.
I descend from James 1735?, his son Joshua 1769, Joshua has a brother James 1761. I haven't followed that line. My Joshua 1769 had a son Robert 1810, so the Robert name must have been important in the family, I found one one baptised 1710 St Bartholomews Colne, one 1725 and one 1764.

Post subject: Elijah Kippax
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:29 pm 

Dear Gloria,

Thanks for your replies. The Robert link is intriguing. It adds a little more weight to the idea that your Joshua's brother James (b1761) is the father of my direct descendant Robert (b1797). I'll do some more searching for James Kippaxs in the Colne area and see if I can prove the link.

Let me know if you have any other thoughts.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:25 am 
Computer Whizz

I had a few rellies from the Briercliffe area who went to Colne St Barts instead of Burnley St Peters. The Kippax families seem to be predominant in Briercliffe and Little Marsden, which are next to each other, if you don't know the area.
There is a book called The History of Marsden and Nelson which mentions them quite a few times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:34 pm 
Computer Whizz

The James Kippax 1735 I think came about by guess work from his date of marriage. I have not been able to find a birth anywhere around that time.
I have found a baptism for a James Kippax, born Ltl. Marsden, baptism place St Bartholomews Colne, baptism date 3rd May 1719, father Edward.
If this is the right James it would make him 41yrs when he married Susan Nutter 28th June 1760, and less than 9months before the christening of son James 22nd Feb 1761. This could give a reason for the marriage, it would also explain why he died when he did, and not that he died young. I have looked for an earlier marriage for him and not come across anything.
The fathers name Edward does not carry on down the line, which is very unusual as names were taken from fathers, grandfathers, mothers etc. The reason for this I think is, Edward baptised 6th July 1696 at St Bartholomews Colne, was the bastard son of Grace Sympson and Edward Kippax, and with that the name ceased to be used in the family. I think the bastard son Edward is the father of James 1719.
This is speculation and not proven, but I cannot find another Edward who could be his father, nor can I find another James who could be Susan Nutters husband.
I hope I haven't baffled you too much with this. A couple of us came to these conclusions but sadly no one has been able to prove it, except possibly by process of elimination.
I have a spreadsheet of Kippaxs collected on my travels some of which don't directly fit in with mine, as yet, all from the Briercliffe, Marsden, Colne area, if you PM me your e-mail address I will TRY to send it to you.
The Kippax tree on the site is mine, if you hadn't realised it. Most of those are not on the spreadsheet.

Post subject: james kippax
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:41 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

Gloria, I'm a bit intrigued when you say "it would also explain why he died when he did, and not that he died young."
Sorry if I'm being thick, but what am I missing?
Maureen[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:55 pm 
Computer Whizz

Hi Maureen,thought I was talking to someone else. :?
If he was born 1719 and died 1769 he would have been 50yrs old, but if he was born 1735 he would only have been 35yrs old which would have been a bit young. Does that make sense?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:54 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

Yes Gloria, you were (talking to someone else). I've was just eavesdropping on your conversation because it looked interesting! :oops:
And it does make sense to me now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:00 pm 
Computer Whizz

Do you have any Kippaxs Maureen?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:37 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

I'm not too sure. Elizabeth Leaver (1831-1890) was 2nd wife to your James Kippax (1817-1895) as you know. She was the one who already had 3 apparently illegitimate children when she married him.
They were married in 1860 and there was a child (Bannister Kippax) born 1864. What we haven't managed to do as yet is join up her Leaver branch with our tree. So we may have a Kippax or we may not.
I did wonder whether James was the father of her Leaver children particularly in view of the fact that one of them was only about 1 when she married James. This might explain why she never married the father of her children - being as he was already married. The problem with that theory is that they weren't married until about 3 years after his first wife died and I would have expected it to have been a lot sooner, especially when she became pregnant with her 3rd child. So on balance I think he probably wasn't.
Maybe it was someone really important who paid him a lot of money to make an honest woman of her!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:51 pm 
Computer Whizz

Ah yes I remember now, they lived at Hollin Grove.