Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: STUTTARD / STUTTERD
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:52 pm 

I am researching all Stuttards and Stutterds everywhere and everywhen.

My own ancestor William Stuttard was born Colne 1804 but married and lived from then on in Gisburn.

His son Thomas (5th child of 9) was born Gisburn in 1837 and left there for Middlesbrough in the late 1850s.

I believe William to have been the son of Richard Stutterd born ca 1779 who survived to the early 1860s in Southfield.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:55 pm 
Willfinder General

Have you seen the Stuttard MI's?

http://briercliffesociety.co.uk/talkbac ... t=stuttard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:59 pm 

Yes I found it today via Google search.

it was that that prompted me to join up.

I had visited the area a couple of years ago and photgraphed those headstones and those in several other graveyardss around Burnley and Colne

For anyone interested in the surname my research is available online at Genes Reunited and also Ancestry / Worldconnect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:33 pm 

The STUTTARD family of Southfield had Baptist and Inghamite connections. How much do you know about these ?
In particular, John STUTTARD was the first pastor at Colne Baptist church, from about 1769.

See my book on Haggate 'advertised' on the site ! There is quite a bit in there about them, especially John.

Rex Watson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:52 pm 
Spider Lady

The link to Rex' book is http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Books.htm

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:11 am 

Yes Rex I do know a bit about John - his 40 year spell as Minister at Colne Particular Baptists, his involvement in the founding of Haggate Baptists, his brother Thomas' involvement with Salendine Nook at Huddersfield, his descendents in Briercliffe and Harle syke including Jack Stuttard, his brother Thomas' descendents in Banbury and later as noteworthy pioneers of northern Tasmania, his father and brother both named Jabez etc but even so i still intend to purchase a copy of your book in the very near future - watch your post :)

This particular colony of Stutterds are very well documented though I do know of quite a few errors in the previously published material about them. For example in works abour Baptist movement in Barnoldswick John's father Jabez was described as Scottish - this is quite false i have details of his baptism ca 1707 and his parents (another Jabez!) marriage in Keighley a few years before this.

This contrasts sharply with my own Stutterd deadend - Richard Stutterd also Southfield born 1779 or 80 who married Mary Amelia Mason in St bartholomews in 1800. His baptism is not recorded so i cant find his parents but would be amazed if he was not a direct relative of John, Thomas and Jabez the famous diary writer. If you have seen Peter Walsh's articles on the Pendle LFHS newsletters about the Diaries of Jabez Stutterd then it is me he is referring to as contributor of further details since his original transcription of the material in Colne library into book form.

Those 3 brothers John, Thomas and Jabez have inspired a lecture tour as well as some significant academic articles in the University of California. many of Thomas' letters to his brothers and descendents survived to form the basis of these various works.

Incidentally I have seen recently a recommendation for your book which states that John Boothman Stuttard Lord Mayor of London is a descendent of John the baptist minister (in the recommendation not in the book - I dont know if you were of this opinion or not). This is incorrect. John Boothman descends from Hartley Stutterd of Southfield quarryman of Catlow son of my ancestor Richard and not from Hartley Stutterd of various farms around Extwistle and Worsthorne who was indeed John Stutterd's son.

Last edited by jiffy128 on Thu May 15, 2008 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:04 pm 

Pleased to see this post, and to hear there might be another book order !

I'd seen the information about the recent London Mayor, but wasn't too bothered as STUTTARD isn't actually one of my ancestral names !

When you get my book you will see that I have tapped into the extensive archive connecting the three brothers, and I can say a bit more about the source material and my knowledge of it.

Rex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:51 pm 

Rex

The order was in the post lunchtime today (Friday).

Post subject: Re: STUTTARD / STUTTERD
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:45 pm 

I'm researching the Folds family of Burnley - who were probably Baptists.

I've found an archive reference to a letter from a Richard Folds to a Revd. Studdart discussing the opening of "our meeting House". The archivist has headed the entry 'Burnley Baptist Church' and the date of the letter is 11 Apr 1788.

This thread appears to confirm that there were Studdard Baptist ministers in the right area at the right time.

Can any of you Studdart experts say if this info gives me any further clues as to where my family was / what they were doing at this time? Can you identify the particular Studdard and where he was? Was there a church opened? Are its records held anywhere?

Thanks in anticipation.

Chris Haynes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:21 pm 

Chris

This is to John Stuttard (or whatever spelling), pastor at Colne Baptist Church, asking him to publicise the opening of the Burnley meeting house (Ebenezer on Colne Rd). Somewhat surprising perhaps in that Ebenezer was a 'General' Baptist church, Colne a 'Particular' one, the groups didn't always communicate with each other !

Rex

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:05 pm 

Rex,

Thanks.

So it appears that they were not working together on the new church, it was simply that Mr Folds was asking Rev. Stuttard to advertise the (rival?!) opening.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:52 am 

They would not be "rivals" being in 2 different towns albeit within10 miles or so of each other.

Incidentally the spelling Folds may not have lasted much after 1840s. There were a numbers of Foulds in Burnley and that spelling probably took over.

Last edited by jiffy128 on Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:09 pm 
Computer Whizz

I have some Foulds in Briercliffe------see my Thomas Foulds descendants in the family tree section on the homepage.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

Post subject: Re: FOLDS / FOULDS
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:38 pm 

Thanks, Gloria.

I'm not sure where / when / if they link up, but I'll keep them in mind.

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:05 am 

I am a Stutterd.