Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mormons in Burnley
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:53 pm 

Those of us who have traced our family histories have much to thank the Mormon church for, for instance the IGI and the availability of the 1881 census on the internet.

I wonder if anyone else posting on the site has Mormon ancestors or at least relatives ?

I have lots on my mother's side, principally in Middleton (and later in USA) and could write a book about it, maybe some day !

The Mormons established a branch in Burnley in 1839, two years after their arrival in the UK (Preston). I do have one, maybe two, sibling(s) of an ancestor who joined. Some years ago I obtained the Burnley membership lists for these early days from the Family History Library of the Church, viewing the microfilm at one of the Family History Centres which are attached to many of the Mormon churches. I think there is one in Burnley (there is certainly a church, on Belvedere Rd). No doubt locals will know.

If anyone had such relatives, I'd be pleased to hear, say by a post on the site.

I can also advise on sources and books for British Mormon history generally.

Rex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:00 pm 

Rex, you probably know this, but a very interesting part of the Mormon Church history site is Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel, 1847-1868. It can be found at:

http://www.lds.org/churchhistory/librar ... panysearch

There are many, many names listed, and the companies they travelled with, but not the places of birth. If anyone has "lost" an ancestor in the mid-1800s it could be worth checking.

There is a Nancy Nutter Stanworth, aged 21, with her infant daughter who died enroute, aged 6 months. I was told some of my Stanworth ancestors were part of the Mormon exodus but I haven't been able to place Nancy in my tree.

Before the days of Internet accessibility I did all my research at the local LDS Centre here and it was, and still is, a wonderful resource. There are big changes in the offing, as the Church proceeds with its digitisation project.

Joan