Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: records of deaths
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:43 am 

Hi Gloria
Still searching! I have been looking at "General & Commercial Directory of Burnley, Nelson ...,1896" page 119 of 522
and there is a list of "Kippaxes". Two of whom I believe are related to me.
Kippax James, bookkeeper, 15 Leyland road (who I think is my Grandfather.) and
Kippax Mr Robert, 4 Leyland road (who I think is my Gr Grandfather.)
Can you give me any information on the other two "Mr James Kippax's" One at 30 Belvedere road, and one at 11 Bank Hall terrace. I have looked at the Haggate gravestones with great interest, and on one of them is written,
James, son of Robert and Ann Kippax of Belvedere road. I wonder if this not "my" Robert and Ann and is yet another?
I'm sorry to be such a pain, but if you could look in your notes for me, I would be most thankful. Based on your experience of lots of "James Kippaxes" it would seem likely. There were some infant deaths recorded on the gravestone which I knew nothing about, but which did fit in with known dates of children. A sad story indeed.
Is "Cop row" in Haggate? This is quoted as the birthplace of my Gr Grandfather in the 1871 census.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:30 pm 
Computer Whizz

Hi Gordon, I haven't any info on the other James Kippaxs, but the gravestone I would be pretty sure is yours.
CopRow is by rights in Burnley, but it is just over the boundary with Briercliffe and is often classed as such.
Cop Row is between the Craven Heifer Pub and the Commercial Pub. In 1843 it was part of a survey done by the church (I think) with a view to handing out poor relief. On the survey was name, residence, employ, name of employer, no in family, total weekly income, parish weekly relief, ages of each with his/her weekly earnings and no of beds. There were also notes as to the state, or lack of bedding, shoes, clothing etc. I have Dan Foulds living there with his wife, 10 children and only 3 beds. The notes read, "all badly off for stockings, the wife has no gown but one she has borrowed of her daughter, nor apron. 1 bed, nothing under, 1 pr clogs needed". The rest of the properties read no better, some a lot worse, it makes quite harrowing reading. Rex Watson told me of this, I don't know if there are any other properties/streets which are documented. The only ones on this list are CopRow, CoalPit House and Tattersall Barn.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:44 pm 
Willfinder General

Gloria wrote:
Fascinating, Binns isn't a local name then obviously.
Kris, there is the Hare and Hounds at Haggate, that was the coincidence I saw.
I'll have a look and see what Binns I can find in Lothersdale in 1901. Just these living at High Fold. Peter is a limestone breaker.
Name Age
Mary Binns 63
Peter Binns 68
Maude A Green 23
Hannah Smith 58

Bob o' Ben o' Binns must be a marriage into the Binns------lets not go down that route yet or we'll all have a headache.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BURNLEY-1890s-NEL ... 240%3A1318

Burnley 1890's "Nelson House" no 10. Mrs. Binns
Photographer is E. Brierley (Gloria, don't you have Brierley's?)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:24 pm 
Computer Whizz

I have, but I haven't found this one in my tree.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:25 pm 

The 1843 survey was instigated by Ann Ecroyd, a leading Quaker. It covered most of Briercliffe/Extwistle, Gt Marsden, and Cop Row.

I have a copy : let me know Gordon (or anyone else !) if I can look up someone for you.

I also have a transcript of the Haggate register.

Rex

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:26 pm 

Hi Rex
Thanks for your kind offer. I would be most grateful for any information you have in regard to my Great Grandfather
Robert Kippax (born 1840) who lived at Cop Row.
What does the Haggate Register consist of?
Regards

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:14 am 
Computer Whizz

He doesn't appear to be there in 1843 Gordon.
Rex, is there anything about "Kippax" anywhere else other than CopRow?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:24 pm 

Hi Gloria
Treat it as a senior moment, what I should have said was Robert Kippax (born 1830), sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:41 pm 
Computer Whizz

No Kippaxs at all on the Cop Row in 1843.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:14 pm 

By Haggate register I meant the Baptist church register of births and burials.

Here goes with basic detail of nine KIPPAX entries in 1843 (first eight in Briercliffe, last in Gt Marsden). The first number is the entry one. Names are only given for heads of household. There is other detail such as earnings, amount of parish support etc, and of what the families needed by way of clothes or bedding (in some cases), employer etc

83 John K Haggate (age 39) Weaver family ages 34 19 17 15(Female) 12(F) 9 7 5

114 James K Hill End (no age) Weaver 4 in family

115 Joseph K Hill End (82) Weaver lives alone

126 Joshua K Hill End (74) Weaver family ages 66 34 30 21 11 2 80

146 Robert K Lane House (46) Weaver family ages 36 16 14 12 10 4

146 and a half (!) William K no detail, but will be Lane House

171 and a half John K Lower House (25) Weaver family ages 26 6(F) 2 (F)

188 James K Pighole Lathe (60) Weaver family ages 60 26(F) 21(M) 16(M)

344 John K White Walls (76) family age 42(M)

Let me know if any of these are of particular interest, and I will give such further detail as there is.

A publication of this document, maybe under the Society's auspices, has been mooted, but has maybe been put on the back burner !

Rex

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:38 pm 
Mongrel

Sorry if this is a silly question, but is the Haggate Baptist church mentioned by Rex the same as the Haggate Baptist Chapel some of whose BMD records are included in the Church Records on the main Briercliffe Society site? I should be very interested to know more about the register, such as the period it covers, numbers of entries and so on, if such information is available.

Charon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:51 pm 

Hi Rex
Thanks for that. It doesn't look as though Robert kippax (born 1830) was living in Cop Row in 1843. He must have got out before then. At age 13 it would be quite a feat, but seemingly, that is what happened.
We have established that by age 22 (from the 1851 census) he was married to Ann Nutter, and living with his widowed Mother in law. This was on Boot street Burnley. His occupation is listed as Mason. So I assume he must have had some training, who knows where?
In the 1861 census, the family had moved to 31 Fulledge street, Burnley, and by this time had three children,
Benjamin 5
Sarah Elizabeth 3
James 1 (who died before the next census.)
By 1871 the family had been added to, to include a daughter
Benjamin 14
Sarah Elizabeth 13
Jane 9
and a replacement for James 4 (this last is my Grandfather)
I am surmising that "Robert's" Father was called Benjamin, born approximately 1810, or earlier.
Benjamin, son of Robert, finished up as a Stonemason too, died at age 44 living on Zion Street, Burnley.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:24 am 
Computer Whizz

Rex, 126 is my 4xgt grandfather, and I think 114 is his son. I would really appreciate more details.
I think Roger mentioned publishing a booklet on these details a while back, but then nothing else has been said.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:46 pm 

For Charon : Yes it's the big chapel near the crossroads, demolished in 2001. I think most of the birth and burial entries will be on the Society website.

Births run from 1768 (two in 1762) to c.1841. Transcribed burials from about 1786 to 1857, with c 1794 to 1811 missing. The later burials were not transcribed. The Lancs FHHS has them on fiche I think, also Burnley library has ancient microfilm which does include later burials, and also grave information and other miscellanea.

I have my own copy of the registers (having done much of the transcription 20 years ago !), and am happy to do look-ups, though may not be able to add to what the website says.

Rex

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:01 pm 

For Gloria

Extra detail follows.

126 Employed by Wm HALSTEAD, S HEYS, and MOORE. Total weekly income 16/9, of which 4/- parish relief. The earnings were in fact 1/3 (Joseph), 6/- (34 year old), 1/6 (30 year old, male) and 4/- (21 year old). They have 4 beds. '30 rather short' [of clothes etc generally, OR it may mean he/she was feeble mentally, look at the low earnings]. '80 (year old) been blind 7 years...her bed needs blankets'

114 4 in family, all weavers James worked for T BLACKBURN (no other information, presumably not needy)

You can see what a wealth of information there is !

I published an academic article analysing this document in a number of ways, in 'Local Population Studies', Spring 1995. Should be in most University libraries, not sure about local ones.

Rex

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next