Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:05 am 

I am in the process of making a memory scrapbook of my family and childhood, and thanks to this site I have already found my great grandparents and valuable information. However I do have a photo I wish to use and it is of a fancy dress procession on Burnley Road in front of the Dr Muir memorial. I look about 4yrs old and I am with my grandma Amy Ashworth (Grandad was Horace of Cobden Street) and I am holding hands with Marion and Eric (forgot surname) their grandad was Rufus (Nuttall I think) of North Street. He was a lovely old character who later lived in the bungalows on Harrison Street where I also lived when I married. Excuse the memories, but I would be grateful if someone could confirm, as I suspect that this parade was in fact, in celebration of the Festival of Britain - that is what I needed to know.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:23 am 
Willfinder General

Hi Susan,

Is the photo in question on the site? If so, can you post the link please?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:19 pm 

Sorry can't upload photo - my employers bought me this laptop for my retirement and I'm still learning !!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:25 pm 
Willfinder General

Hi Susan, perhaps you can send a scanned image to Mel so she can add it to the photo gallery.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:07 pm 

Thanks for trying to help, I shall certainly try. I have a few lovely photos of my Briercliffe family, including a very old one of Nancy Thornber aged about 16 (featured in Briercliffe couples - married Ben Howarth, my great grandparents). Just today my sister and I have been searching boxes and drawers and questioning our Mum, now aged 84 who lived 'up Syke' from 5yrs old, only moved as far as Lanehead when she married and is still there - we found a treasure of documents and photos. Will contact Mel - I can always take them, if all else fails. Thanks again. Susan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:55 pm 
Willfinder General

Hi Susan, you should show your Mum these videos of Burnley. They might trigger some memories. http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Video.htm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:50 am 
Spider Lady

Susan has emailed me. We'll see what we can do.

Kris, Susan might not be able to show the videos to her mum, she would need an internet connection to access them.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:03 am 

susan 359 wrote:
I am in the process of making a memory scrapbook of my family and childhood, and thanks to this site I have already found my great grandparents and valuable information. However I do have a photo I wish to use and it is of a fancy dress procession on Burnley Road in front of the Dr Muir memorial. I look about 4yrs old and I am with my grandma Amy Ashworth (Grandad was Horace of Cobden Street) and I am holding hands with Marion and Eric (forgot surname) their grandad was Rufus (Nuttall I think) of North Street. He was a lovely old character who later lived in the bungalows on Harrison Street where I also lived when I married. Excuse the memories, but I would be grateful if someone could confirm, as I suspect that this parade was in fact, in celebration of the Festival of Britain - that is what I needed to know.

Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:44 am 
Spider Lady

Hi Keith, welcome to the forum.

Did you have a problem posting? Let me know if I can be of help.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!