Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Photographs
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:14 pm 

I have ancestors buried in St James The Great Churchyard.The Knapton Fultons Of Burnley .My grandfather was William Knapton Fulton (the 2nd).His life is a sad story that I am trying to piece together .Elsie Pollard was a close friend of grandfathers before her marriage to Sam Cox .Sadly my grandmother and grandfather lived estranged due to my grandmothers refusal to divorce him.I have no facts about him or photographs of him .Has anyone else any photographs from this period .Many Thanks Bar

Post subject: Re: Photographs
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:25 pm 
Willfinder General

Hi Bar, welcome to the site. I'm not sure if there are any photos of this family on the site, but the family gravestone can be found here: http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... Fulton.htm

Have you looked for William's obituary in the Burnley express? If not, you might find a photograph.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:40 pm 
Willfinder General

This must relate to your family.

The London Gazette, March 24, 1896

Notice is hereby given that the Partnership which has for some time past been carried on by Knapton Fulton and Charles Fulton under the style or firm of Fulton Brothers at Hollin Bank Burnley in the trade or business of Patentees and Makers of a Patent Combination Mantle Shelf and Brass Rail, a Patent Changeable Draft Pipe, a Patent Pocket Pipe Cleaner and a Patent Shuttle Guard was this day dissolved by mutual consent, and the said business will henceforth be carried on by the said Knapton Fulton only. All debts owing by the late firm must be paid to Mr. Knapton Fulton and all debts owing by the late firm will be discharged by him. Dates this 12th day of March 1896.
Knapton Fulton.
Charles Fulton.
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/ ... 2/page.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:48 pm 
Willfinder General

The London Gazette, April 23, 1901

Notice is hereby given, that the Partnership which has for some time past been carried on by Knapton Fulton and Harry Chiesman, under the style or firm of Fulton and Chiesman, at 29a, Springfield road, Burnley, in the county of Lancaster, in the trade or business or Mantel Board Dealers and House Furnishers, was this day dissolved by mutual consent as from the first day of April instant. The said business will henceforth be continued by the said Knapton Fulton on his own account. All debts due and owing by the late firm will be received and paid by the undersigned Knapton Fulton. -- As witness our hands this forth day of April, one thousand nine hundred and one.
Knapton Fulton
Harry Chiesman
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/ ... 1/page.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:58 pm 
Willfinder General

And more info for Knapton Fulton:

Title: Illustrated Official Journal (Patents)
1028   1892 – 1898   Various Applications for Patents.   16th January.
Charles Fulton and Knapton Fulton,
Hollin Bank, Burnley, Lancs                Penny Bank Chambers, Halifax
31 Hufling Lane Burnley, Lancs 12 Standish St. Burnley

Title: Illustrated Official Journal (Patents)
1159   Applications for Patents.
16/05/1894   22/08/1894  03/07/1895 
Charles Fulton and Knapton Fulton, 31, Hufling Lane, Burnley.
11/12/1895  22/011896 
Charles Fulton and Knapton Fulton, Hollin Bank, Burnley
31/03/1897  21/04/1897  23/12/1903
Charles Fulton, (6 ) (76) (75)Hollingreave Road, Burnley

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... /INV01.htm

Cyclist and Wheel World Annual

Brierfield and District. - Hdqts., Brierfield; hon. sec., Knapton Fulton, 5 Colne Road, Burnley Lane, Burnley; capt., Charles Sagar; en. fee, 2s.; no sub. ; uniform, dark blue suit: headgear, B.B.C. ; 25 men. ; formed March 1st, 1882

http://books.google.ca/books?id=NtsCAAA ... 22&f=false

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:15 pm 

Thanks Mel yes I have all this info on Family including photos of Grave in St James the Great.Also info on grandfather Williams suicide in 1951.I just thought other people might have more info than the info I can research.Many Thanks anyway Mel.Bar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:20 pm 
Willfinder General

Out of curiosity, what happened to Knapton Fulton,, was he successful with his Patent business?
Kris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:25 pm 
Willfinder General

Burnley Express
20 May 1916

In the official list of wounded published on Thursday, appears the name of Pte. Charles Fulton, of the R.A.M.C. Pte. Fulton, who is the son of Mr. charles Fulton, of 81, Todmorden-road, Burnley, was wounded with the British Force on the Tigris. No details are given. Pte. Fulton has another brother serving in France.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:15 pm 

In reply to Knapton Fulton I assume with all his business deals he did very well,probate records show in 1938 monies left 19483 pounds 18 shillingas and 11pence .The Charles Fulton listed in service records I dont think is my Charles Fulton .There was another family of Fultons that did not carry the Knapton name .I do not know if they are related .I have the List of The Children of Charles and he did not have a son Charles just a grandson my father.Many Thanks for all replys so far .Bar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:29 pm 

I have found that the info on Charles Fulton War wounded ,Son of Charles Fulton 81 Todmorden rd is correct family .I think the Charles listed as son of Charles has the wrong name printed .It could be John Arthur or Walter
This is what made me think that it was not the correct family.However 1911 census shows 81 todmoren Rd for the family .Thank you for the info.Bar