Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:11 pm 

Hi I'm new here :D .

I have recently been compiling my family tree and I have stumbled across an interesting ancestor of mine, Samuel Catlow. He is my 2nd great Grandfather. It seems that he was convicted of attempted murder in 1897 and died in 1921 at The Annexe Lunatic Asylum in Prestwich.

I noticed a topic on here while researching him http://briercliffesociety.co.uk/talkbac ... oto#p14567 from 2009, which I got a lot of helpful information from.

I didn't want to resurrect an old discussion so I hope it's ok to start a new one.

I notice that Leaver said that he had a convict photo (or hospital photo) of Samuel. I am very intrigued by my 2nd Great Grandfather and would really be interested in seeing this photo if Leaver still has it. I tried to find a way to message him direct but there didn't seem to be a way (that I could find) to do that.

Although records show that he died at the Asylum in Prestwich, I also noticed that according to the 1901 Census, there was a Samuel Catlow from Burnley in Portland Convict Prison in Weymouth. He has the same dob and profession of Cotton Weaver. Could it be the same one? Might he have gone there first upon conviction?

If anyone has any further information about Samuel I would love to learn more thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:09 pm 

Samuel Catlow - he was my great grandfather. I obtained the photo of Sam from Manchester Records Office. I signed a declaration that I would not pass this photo onto anyone.

You are correct about him being in Portland prison in 1901, in 1911 he was a convict at Carisbrooke Prison. If you are a member of Ancestry I have a lot of information on Sam which most was taken from "Leaver"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:16 pm 

Hi there,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes I am on Ancestry.com but I can only get access every now and then as I'm not a fully paid up member and only take advantage on the freebie weekends. But while on one of these free offers I managed to get my Catlow family as far back as the 1700's so I would be interested to see yours as we share an ancestor.