Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 5:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Marriage Certificates
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:19 pm 

Hi All, wondering if anyone can help me, I am trying to trace the parents of my great Grandfather Elias Rawcliffe (B Preston area 1872) he was married to Sophia Nutter of Briercliffe. I have found 2x possible matches but the research is very confusing to say the least so I think the best bet would be to request a marriage Certificate. Would a marriage Certificate from the late 1800`s name the parents of my great grandfather and which would be the best organisation to order one from?
Claret.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:46 pm 
Willfinder General

Hi Claret, yes, all marriage certificates issued after September 1837 include the father's name and occupation. I order certificates from this website https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/cert ... efault.asp

Marriages Dec 1894
RAWCLIFFE, Elias -- Burnley, 8e, 297
NUTTER, Sophia -- Burnley, 8e, 297

More on this family here: http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/paf/Shoesmith.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:07 pm 

Hi,

The marriage of Elias Rawcliffe to Sophia has been transcribed on the church records for St. James Briercliffe.
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Chu ... ecords.htm

Mo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:13 pm 
Willfinder General

These are the details.

When – 16th Dec, 1894
Where – Church of Briercliffe
Groom – Elias Rawcliffe, private soldier, aged 22 of 5, Thurston street, Burnley
Bride – Sophia Nutter, weaver, aged 22 of 5 Queen street, Briercliffe
Grooms father – Charles Rawcliffe, carter
Brides father – Robert Nutter, weaver
Witnesses – Smith Brown and Jane Brown

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:58 pm 
Computer Whizz

Isn't this site wonderful, practically any problem can be solved.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:28 pm 

Well thanks everyone for the quick response!! this site is indeed brilliant, I had Elias`s father down as Robert in my tree and all because in the 1881 census origional document it appears that he has a son of similar age called Elias, when on closer inspection the name is Eliza and I failed to notice that the childs age was in the Female column but some of the handwriting on these documents can be very difficult to read. It also means that about 15 people in my tree are wrong, but at least I know that this time I will be on the right track.
Mel has recently put a picture of Sophia in the photo section under Groups I think and I have a photo of Elias from 1926 which I shall post later, thanks again for the help.
Claret

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:07 am 

Gets even more confusing now, just looked at the 1891 Census and it indeed has Elias Rawcliffe at 5 Thurston Street (although it gives his birth year as 1874 not 1872) but the father is Robert not Charles. As the church marriage record states Elias Rawcliffe of 5 Thurston Street could it be that Robert used his middle name?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:12 am 
Willfinder General

Claret, I wouldn't take too much notice of the age because they seem to vary from census to census (depends who provided the info?). Also, it should be noted that Elias was married in December, and the census was in April, so this could account for a slight difference in age.

In the 1881 Census, Elias is living at 26, Nelson street, Preston with Charles Rawcliffe (cart driver, age 29) and his sister, Ann, age 5 (RG11 4233/74 pg. 17)
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/ ... frompage=5

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:14 am 

Hi,

The Elias in the 1891 census that you have found with father Robert was born Burnley not Preston. Possibly a cousin by the looks of it. This Elias married Elizabeth Southwell in 1898 at St. Catherines Burnley and can be found on the 1901 census aged 27 transcribed as Elios. Your Elias on the 1891 was at Caterham, Soldier aged 19 born Preston. If you go back to the 1881 census your Elias aged 8 born Preston is living with his widowed father Charles, age 29, Cart Drawer, born Gt. Eccleston and a sister Ann aged 5 born Preston at 26 Nelson Street, Preston.

The address on a marriage is only the address that they were living at the time of the marriage, so possibly he was living at his Aunt Jane and Uncle Robert, who also had a son Elias born 2 years later.

Hope this makes sense,

Night all,
Mo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:23 am 
Willfinder General

Mo, welcome to the site!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:05 pm 

Thank you for the welcome and I hope you don`t mind me popping in from time to time.

Claret,

I checked back on the 1851 and 61 census and I am fairly sure that Robert and Charles were brothers - the sons of an Elias and Jane Rawcliffe who were living at Great Eccleston. If you can`t find them let me know.
1851 - HO107/2270 folio 160 page 26 .
1861 - RG9/3152 folio 21 page 22. Rawcliff without the e.

Mo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:34 pm 
Willfinder General

mosiefish wrote:
Thank you for the welcome and I hope you don`t mind me popping in from time to time.

The more the merrier! :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:45 pm 

Once again thanks to all for your efforts.
Mo, I have Elias Rawcliffe (B 1822) and Jane Entwhistle (B 1823) down in my tree as My great Grandfather Elias`s grandparents so it looks like amid the research confusion I`ve picked up his uncle Robert as his father by mistake. I`m now off to alter my tree!
Claret