Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Quandary
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:37 pm 
Computer Whizz

Hi Stephen,
I see the marriage of Ann Jones to Thomas Forsyth in 1857 is on familysearch site.
Also on the same site is a christening of an Ann Jones 17th Dec 1826, St Nicholas, Liverpool, father Thomas Jones mother Ann.
That seems rather interesting as Ann was married at St Nicholas. I wonder if that is your Ann and they moved to Liverpool after she was born.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:14 am 
Natural Geek

Gloria,

I've had the marriage cert for a few years (which is how I knew who the parents were). Interesting find re: the baptism of Ann in Liverpool. It would be very odd to be born in one village and then to be baptised in another city, almost 50 miles away. But, presumably, not entirely unheard of.

St. Nick's was the main Liverpool Church for those times. Gradually more were set up over the years, but that one is a 13th Century relic!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:28 am 
Spider Lady

Definitely not unheard of. I have a family from Stoke who moved to Derby but still returned to Stoke for the baptism of 2 or 3 children that they had while living in Derby. This was in the 1890's.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:44 am 
Computer Whizz

Perhaps they were just visiting Malaps when Ann was born. Ann's mother may have wanted to be with her mother when her baby was born and then gone home to Liverpool where she had her christened. Would be interesting if we knew who the godparents were.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:16 pm 
Natural Geek

I suppose it is feasible...I think that if the name was more obscure I'd be more likely to believe all of the distances travelled, but with there being so many possibilities for Ann Jones and father Thomas, I just worry that I'm grasping at (distant) straws.

Not sure if St. Nick's tends to contain godparent details or not. I'll have to bare this one in mind next time I'm back 'ome!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:21 pm 
Natural Geek

Well, the certificate arrived...and it all fits together perfectly!

William Forsyth was born 1839 at Bolton Street (where the family are in 1841). His parents were Thomas Forsyth and Elizabeth Forsyth (nee Williams). And who does their elder son live with in 1841? Why, it's an elderly Mr. and Mrs. Williams on New Street in Mold!

However...try as I might, I can't find a marriage for Thomas Forsyth and Elizabeth Williams!

Grr...there are always missing pieces, aren't there...?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:39 pm 
Computer Whizz

That's great Stephen. Is William the eldest child that we know of? I have looked on the genealogist parish registers and lancashire bmd's but cannot find a marriage. Looks like it was pre 1837. AND, looking back at where Elizabeth was born---Wales.
One thing which puzzles me--I have looked at marriages for Thomas Forsyth and there is one in 1839 Dec qtr Liverpool. When I look at the 1841 census there is only one Thomas Forsyth and that is the one we have found with Elizabeth. There is a marriage for an Elizabeth Williams dec qtr 1839 Liverpool---all good until then----the details are
Thomas Forsyth
Dec qtr 1839
Liverpool
Vol 20
Page 143

Elizabeth Williams
Dec qtr 1839
Liverpool
Vol 20
Page 201

All ties up but for the page numbers??????
I am now a bit stuck.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:12 pm 
Computer Whizz

The plot thickens------
The marriage for Thomas Forsyth Dec qtr vol 20 page 143 was in Oct----from Ancestry
there is a marriage for an Elizabeth Williams Oct 1839 Vol 20 page 321 Liverpool
Again different pages but the Thomas is the same person----might be worth getting his marriage cert.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:10 pm 
Natural Geek

Gloria, thanks again for your interest!

William is probably the 2nd son. The eldest son is most likely to be Thomas, born c.1835 in Mold.

So yes, most likely to be pre-1837.

However, this 1839 one does interest me. I suppose it's possible they got married after the kids were born, isn't it...?

I'll have a look at the original transcriptions in the morning and see if I can convince myself that a '143' is actually a '201' and vice versa :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:22 am 
Natural Geek

Fortunately, without spending £10 on the marriage cert (something I could seriously not afford right now!!) I found this courtesy of the friendly Mormons...

marriage: 05 Nov 1839 — St. Peter'S, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
groom's name: Thomas Forsyth
bride's name: Mary Lamb
marriage date: 05 Nov 1839
groom's father's name: Richard Forsyth
bride's father's name: James Lamb

B*gger!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:05 am 
Computer Whizz

Sugar, not to worry, at least you didn't lose money to find that out. Back to the drawing board. :(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:13 pm 
Natural Geek

I think that maybe the main problem lies around the existence (or lack of) Parish Registers for Mold. I've never come across them outside of the odd entry on familysearch. It seems odd that I can't find the baptism for Thomas born c1835, his parents' marriage c. that year, or his mother's birth c.1813 or even her parents; John and Mary Williams' marriage.

On another side of my tree, I also have trouble with mold (ho-ho). Again, a birth c1811 can't be found.

I'll do some digging and find out where - and if - Mold records are accessible...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:45 pm 
Computer Whizz

Taken from genuki

Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by the LDS; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of the LDS.
The films may also be viewed at the Flintshire and Denbighshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
Deposited at National Library of Wales 1664-1856
Microfilmed copies 1678-1856

The following have been incorporated into the I.G.I., as part of an "official extraction" programme.
They were extracted from the Bishop's Transcripts, not from the Parish Registers.
Baptisms 1817-1834 IGI batch number C056651

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:21 am 
Natural Geek

So only the BTs are 'in circulation' as it were?

Crikey, no wonder I'm hitting so many blanks!

Thanks for the extract!