Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Harle Syke Cotton Mill?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:16 pm 

Could anyone tell me if there was a cotton - weaving or spinning, I don't know - Mill in the area called something like "Dodie Mason's Mill" ? If indeed there was such a place, where it would be in modern Burnley, and would there be any record of employees during the mid 1920s and 1930s, and if so, where it might these records be kept?
I'd be grateful for any responses. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:22 pm 
Computer Whizz

Kings Mill on Queen St.
There is this picture on the site
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Pho ... ehouse.htm

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:28 pm 
Spider Lady

Dodie has cropped up a couple of times....

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=395&hilit=dodie
(password and access for newsaper site no longer value)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=662&hilit=dodie

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:49 pm 
Genealogist in Waiting

Welcome, Leigh!! :D
Yes...the above 2 posts is a great place to start. My great-grandfather (John Robert Halstead) worked there for decades in the early 20th century as a bookkeeper. My grandfather (James Halstead), his brother (Edmund Halstead), and his sister (Lizzie Mason) worked as weavers. Lizzie was married to Willie Mason, who also worked at Harle Syke Mill as a tattler. Willie was a relative of Dodie's, but I haven't got that far yet in my tree!
I visited the mill many times as a child going to meet my grandfather when I came for a visit from Manchester, where I lived. I used to walk to his 6 looms in the middle of this huge shed, being very brave indeed, in between the loud, clattering looms.I believed I would surprise him but my presence was always known to him....messages preceding my determined progress...all weavers sending mime messages along so that my presence was heralded long before I reached him! The weavers communicated by exaggerated silent talk..so that the words were lip-read from person to person. It was called mee-mawing...because that's what it always looked like everyone was saying!
Leigh...what is it you are looking for? Or whom? We have some real experts on this website(not me!)...you are going to get a lot of help, if you want it. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:07 pm 

Thank you all for your swift responses, they're great. I've looked up the related references. All we had to go on was the memory of a reference to some family having worked there in the 1920s / 30s, and possible returning there after the War. We'd really like to know where employee records may be kept, if they still exist. The surnames are Griffiths and Anderson.
If King's Mill is on Queen Street, I'll pop straight onto Google Earth and have a look at the building. Was it a large Mill? We thought it may be.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:40 pm 
Computer Whizz

On google earth if you put in BB10 2JJ it brings you near the top of Burnley Rd, go down the road till you get to Queens St on your left, go down Queens St to the bottom---Kings Mill is on the left, Queens St Mill on the right.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:12 pm 

Got it! Thanks. Interesting...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:30 am 
Sage of Simonstone

Leigh
You asked about where any employee records would be kept. As far as I know they're still at the mill - I remember Roger Frost once saying he was organising a visit to the Mill for us and that some of the employee records would be available for us to see. Unfortunately it didn't happen!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:31 pm 

Thank you Portia - I've just thanked you for your help on another thread, you really are kind. I spent some time this week consulting Burnley Reference Library, they were very helpful, the Mill that's connected with Dodie Mason was King Mill, not to be confused with King Street Mill apparently, according to a book there. They consulted their own records, and checked up online with Preston, but they'd no employee records, and didn't hold out much chance of any with name details etc... apparently they were the sort of thing that got dumped quite early. No-one thinks of what the future is going to want to know, do they?
They were also very helpful over the job definitions within the textile industry that I'd been seeking on another thread, and I'm now, through everyone's combined efforts, somewhat wiser than I was...