Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Burnley Council 1800's
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:49 pm 

My G-G-Uncle Ralph Holden (1835-1894) was a Councillour for Burnley has any one any info for me please.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:49 pm 

There appears to have been an obituary for Ralph in the Burnley Express dated 22nd August, 1894. It may contain more information on his work as a councillor. I know my G. Grandfathers did.

http://lancs-local-resources.talis.com/ ... 3494782983

Mo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:56 pm 

I did print this out last time i was at Burnley Library. Due to a long drive home to Workington i didn't have a lot of time to spare there.
Ralph has a brother, Thomas, whose obituary also appears in the Burnley Express and Advertiser 2nd of November 1889.
Excuse my ignorance but are these actually on line to read or must i have to go to the Library.
Thanks for the reply :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:38 pm 

Hi,

As far as I know the Burnley Express is only available online at http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/ which is a subscription site. However you can search for free and I just had a go. I think the best way is to search by publication, then use the filters down the left hand side: range of years, then select year and the same with the month etc. I left it at August 1894 and then just typed his surname in the search box. You then get a preview.

They are not complete and 1896 to 1899 inclusive appear to be missing.

If you do find anything else of interest I will always go to the library and look it up for you, but it will be after Christmas before I get there again.

Mo
Added: I just typed in Alderman Holden in using 1890 to 1899 and Burnley Express. I am sure you will see some interesting snippets even thought the OCR transcriptions leave a bit to be desired. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:38 pm 

Now i know how come he left so much money when he died besides being a Tailor he also owned property
which he let.
I have found adverts for his brother Thomas who was a Hatter and had a business on Curzon Street.
It also looks like he had a business in Chorley which ties in with my family tree as his sister Roseannah
who married a Thomas Watson who was also a Tailor.
I have been like a dog with 2 tails looking at this site :D :D
Thanks once again for being so helpful, I can see a day trip to Burnley Library on the cards :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:34 am 
Spider Lady

If you have the date and publication title, Burnley library will send you a copy of the article for a small fee. I think it is just the cost of a printout and postage but don't quote me. It's a long time since I asked for anything from them.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:04 am 

I paid for 500 credits on the Archive and have hardly been off it :)

Ralph Holden features a lot since he was a Councillor and i have found out all sorts of things about him even down to the time he died in Blackpool.

Oh the joy of internet :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:46 am 
Spider Lady

I'm going to buy credits when I have time to make use of them.

Is the image quality good?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:24 pm 

I paid £6:95 for 500 Credits which you have to use up within 2 days, I have spent about 6hrs on the site already and still have 170 credits left.
The quality is excellent the best £6:95 I have spent while resreaching my family tree, I have gained so much information on Ralph Holden and historical knowledge of Burnley in the 1800's

Ralph Holden owned the the Tailors Shop on St James's Street.
My next quest is to try and find a photo of the shop.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:41 pm 
Spider Lady

It might be worth emailing the library for that. They have allsorts in their archives.