Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:53 pm 

My Great Grandparents lived at 91 Church Street, Burnley in 1901. This is the main road called Church Street that runs past St James Church, not one of the other Church Streets also around Burnley. My Great Grandfather William Cooper was a Commission Agent in 1901, the time he lived here. I noticed when I visited recently that there is an old horizontal sign post protruding from the house. Does anyone know what sign would have hung here? I'm curious if he would have had his own sign and worked from home, or if it originated from some other time. Thanks for any help. Jon Cooper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:10 pm 

Hi,

Well, I had to find him on the 1901 census to make sure it was the correct Church Street - St. Peters Church is the one across the road and he was living at the end house on the corner of Dawson Square (where the garage is now). I then dropped in to see it on Street View. :) I can say that I only remember that sign post when it became a very short lived restaurant called the Dog and Sardine in roughly the early 1990`s . Whether it was there before the restaurant I don`t know.

Mo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:47 pm 

Thanks Mo, yes I meant St Peters. Getting my churches mixed up there. It's a bit of a longshot that I'd find a sign with his name on it! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for an old photo of that part of the street.
Jon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:13 pm 

I'm not sure if will help you in your search but using the site "Lancashire Lantern" there is an image of this address being the "Tile Flair" shop. http://lanternimages.lancashire.gov.uk/ ... =2&t=4&x=1 Its rather difficult to find but if you enter "Burnley" in the search box and go to image 94 out of 95 it should pop up. Unfortunately it appears to be a relatively modern shop.