Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:47 pm 

I am a bit confused....anyone that knows me would say theres nothing new there! :?

I am typing up my Husbands Family History as a narrative and I am including some snippits of local History. In 1851 Robert and Sophia Harrison were licensed Victuallers at the Old Red Lion Inn on Market St reading through Walter Bennetts History of Burnley it says that the present Manchester Rd used to be called Market St, can anyone tell me when it changed its name and also where the Old Red Lion was in relation to how the town centre looks today?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:19 pm 
Computer Whizz

I am pretty sure The Old Red Lion is at the bottom of Manchester Rd. If I remember rightly, in the olden days before Burnley centre was pedestrianised, you could walk straight across the road from the bottom of Manchester Rd down a little street and into the Market Square, if you carried on walking straight you went up Standish St (where I worked). Bear in mind this was donkeys years ago :wink: If you look on google earth you can see Manchester Rd and Standish St and then plot the line where the street would have been.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:20 pm 

Hi,

The old "Old Red Lion" was demolished about 1868-9, and a new "Old Red Lion" was erected on the same spot, exactly where Gloria says it is. You can see the change in its shape on the old maps site at http://www.old-maps.co.uk and type the following numbers in the coordinate boxes: 384121 and 432545. When loaded select the 1851 Town Plan or the 1892 Town Plan from the right hand side and zoom in.

Mo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:05 pm 

Many thanks for your replies, I have looked at the map of Burnley in 1851 and I can see that Manchester Rd was called Market St at that time and it has helped me to visulise what the town centre was like.
I have bookmarked the site, so that I can refer to it as and when I need to
Many thanks once again :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:07 pm 
Computer Whizz

It's a very useful site Joan, I use it quite often.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:41 pm 

I may be confusing the issue here but the 1854 Trade Directory shows Rbt Harrison to be at the NEW Red Lion at 15 Market St. While Adam Robertson was at the Old Red Lion 32 St James St: (equivalent to No2 Market St.) The NEW Red Lion was situated at the corner of Bull St and Market St. It was later re-built to become the Big Window. The New Red Lion is not shown as an Inn on the 1851 Map.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:00 pm 

Many thanks for the information Plaques, I had just asumed that Robert was the Landlord of The Red Lion at the corner of Market St and Manchester Rd. I wonder why two Inns situated so close together had the same name?
The next time I go to Burnley Central Library I will see if there are any photographs of the New Red Lion and try to find out something of its history!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:27 am 
Spider Lady

Plaques has kindly sent me an image of the Old Red Lion. You can view it at http://briercliffesociety.co.uk/Photo%2 ... 20Lion.htm

Thanks Plaques for this and the others that you have recently shared with us.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!