Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:08 pm 

I was wondering if anyone could help with this. After discovering that my great grandmother's (Zilpah Shackleton, 1864-1939) sister (Alice Shackleton, 1874-1961) married William Philip Corrin (1873-1927) son of James Corrin (1833-1897) who was the Haggate headmaster, director and company secretary of Queen Street Mill, I started to look into the well-documented and interesting Corrin Family. Alice and William Philip had a son called James Keble Corrin (1901-1967). According to probate records, James Keble was a loom overlooker in 1933 but, by 1960-1961, he was recorded as a mill manager. I would really like to know which mill he managed. Given his grandfather's connections with Queen Street Mill, did James Keble become a manager there? Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks. Cheers Sue Ashford-Owen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:17 am 

Hello Sue,
My name is Phil Shackleton, (my name is not from Alice or Zilpha).
James Keble Corrin was my grandfather. He was manager of Finsley View Manufacturing Co LTD.
Unfortunately I don't know if he worked in any managerial capacity for Queen Street Mill before that time. I do know that he worked as a Jaquard loom overlooker/tackler at a mill on or near Trafalgar Street Bunley. I remember his mother (my great grandmother) quite well too. She lived below the mill on Burnley Road with James's sister Ethel.
In the early sixties James lived with his wife Eva Doris at Rose Cottages Cockden, later moving to Barrowford where both are interred in the cemetery there.
I hope this helps you, if you want to know more please contact me: pjsmusic@t-online.de

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:39 am 

Hello Phil. Thanks so much for the interesting information. Your reply is much appreciated. It's lovely that you have memories of your great grandmother. That's quite a rare thing. Thanks also for your contact details. Happy New Year. Cheers Sue :)