Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:08 pm 

It appears that 1900 is the latest date on Lancashire Online Parish Clerks for births, marriages and deaths records for Colne Parish Church (St Bartholomew's).

Does anyone know if any later transcripts are available anywhere else?

It seems ironic that it is easy to research ancestors that I have never met but in some cases proving very difficult to find precise dates for older members of my family whom I knew as a child!

Ruth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:24 am 
Spider Lady

I think it's all part of an unspoken 100 year rule about posting info online. There is a chance that people may still be living, admittedly it is less so for 1900 but certainly for perhaps 1910-1920. I wouldn't like to think that my birth information was freely and easily available online for anyone (including those who might steal identities) despite my obsession with genealogy.

You may find the records you are looking for at one of the archives - be it Colne, Burnley or Preston (perhaps more likely Preston if they are still in book form). Not sure which would have them or if visiting these venues is an option for you.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:49 am 

I agree that there is a need for a 100 year rule - or for something approaching 100 years. However, for me, it is a bit frustrating that the publication of church records is lagging behind the release of census information. I'm overdue for a visit to Colne!

Ruth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:17 pm 
Computer Whizz

There are some Parish Registers on ancestry, if you give me names I could have a look, might be getting on to tomorrow though.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:50 pm 

Many thanks Gloria for your kind offer.

I currently have an Ancestry subscription so will give it another try myself.

I was hoping that someone might come up with the news that there was currently a local project to transcribe the next lot of parish registers and put them on line ...

Ruth