Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:55 pm 

Can anyone give me any information about the Union Club? my Husbands 2x Great Uncle was Steward there for over 20 years. I would like to know where on Manchester Rd it was and what kind of club it was.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:58 pm 

As no one else has come up with an answer, I've been seeing if I could find anything online.

Joan, can you provide any more clues? Roughly when was your husband's ancestor Steward of the Club? I have guessed c. 1880 but don't know how the generations fall in your husband's family. A different date might produce different results.

Do you know that the Club was actually a Club House in Manchester Road, or might Manchester Road have been your husband's ancestor's address rather than his place of employment?

At first I assumed that the Union Club was some sort of social club and that the job of Steward, as now, would have been the person who ran the club (and the bar). But I have found no trace and it is perhaps odd that no one on the Forum has any knowledge of it.

The only Union Club I found when I searched online (Union Club Burnley 1880) was the Hall Union Club, which seems to have been an early type of building society - leading to the building of 'club houses' in Burnley (but not Manchester Road). If this is the answer to your puzzle, then the Steward would probably have been the person who looked after the money (Treasurer or Secretary). More information on:

RootsWeb: LANCSGEN-L Re: [LAN] CLUB HOUSE BURNLEY
archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com › LANCSGEN › 2007-03‎
8 Mar 2007 - Hall Union Club" Bennett's "History of Burnley" part 3 lists some of the members of the Hall Union Club and a few of the residents. In the census ...

Good luck with your search
Ruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:39 am 
Spider Lady

Thanks Ruth.

I've not heard of it. Could 'Union Club' have been a 'locals' name for it? We have a pub here called the old hut...that's just what the locals call it but I have no idea why. It's not the 'official' name.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:06 pm 

Hi,

Slaters 1879 Directory has it listed as Burnley Union Club, 5 Manchester Road, Burnley - Richard Watson, secretary. So it was a couple of doors away from the Bull Hotel. It was still at that address in the 1911 census summary books. It was not an occupied property on any census as far as I can see.

Mo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:23 pm 

Thankyou for your replies. :D I have the obituary for John Charles Simpson which says he was steward at The Union Club for 21 years retiring in 1913 (five years before he died) He was also a Freemason so I did wonder whether the Union Club had connections with the Freemasons. I did look at the local newspaper index at the library that Jack Nadin compiled and there is a mention about the Union Club closing in 1932 along with the date of the newspaper it appeared in, I searched through the Burnley Express and the Burnley News but couldn't find any trace of the article in either paper, which is a shame as I think that would have told be what I wanted to know.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:50 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

There's a photo of Manchester Road on the BBC web site, which includes the Bull Hotel. The Union Club is probably obscured by the tram. http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/lancashire/ ... 138079.stm

ps I tested the link and it didn't go to exactly where I wanted it. You have to scroll to the right about 5 times