Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:32 am 

My 2x Great Grandad and his family lived here in 1871, I can't find any reference to Moorfield Houses, does anyone know whereabouts on Colne Rd it was and whether it still exists?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:56 pm 

A bit of a mystery, this one !

My 1953 Directory gives a Moorfield St as being off Briercliffe Rd, near the Baltic fleet, but no houses on the street.

A Google search for Moorfield St brought up a 2007 Express article on this area, saying that Moorfield St is now Green St, and Back Moorfield St now part of Rushworth St.

My guess then is that Moorfield House was in that area before the terraced streets were constructed fully, perhaps being demolished in the process, or maybe incorporated into the new streets.

I tried to find the census entry you mention, Joan, without success, I don't know the surname. But if you can find the entry again, that should tell you more or less where the House was by looking at adjacent entries. Let me know the names if you like and I can look.

Rex

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:12 pm 

I have done a capture of the page from the 1871 Census, my 2 x Great Grandad Joseph Taylor is living with his father, sisters and brother in law. I did wonder whether Moorfield Houses was the name of one of the terraced rows on Colne Rd

Attachments:
1871 census.jpg
1871 census.jpg [ 131.77 KiB | Viewed 4472 times ]
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:27 pm 

Thanks Joan, this enabled me to find adjacent sheets and indeed to look at the summary of places at the beginning of the Enumeration District. It looks like the first row of houses on the left hand side going north. Maybe there is a stone on the terrace ?

Incidentally, Bennett gives a Moorfield Mill, on Standish St, occupier in the Mannex 1850s directory was William Rushworth (see the alternative street names above !)

(and it is 'Houses' rather than 'House')

Rex

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:53 pm 

This is a 1892 map showing Moorfield St off Briercliffe Rd. The block to the right is now the Baltic Fleet. There are no Terrace plaques to indicate that Moorfield St ever existed. Hope this helps.
Attachment:
P3160221AA.jpg
P3160221AA.jpg [ 111.8 KiB | Viewed 4441 times ]