Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:44 pm 

I am trying to find out whether the Annie Bannister who married James Sutcliffe Greenwood (Burnley reg.) in 1901 was the daughter of John Bannister and Alice nee Whitaker (and therefore the sister of my grandmother Mary Martha Hall, nee Bannister, born 1886). Has anyone seen details of this marriage as part of their research?

In the 1901 census this Annie and James Sutcliffe Greenwood (born Briercliffe) were married and living at 60 Fir Street, Nelson and her age of 23 is correct for the known birth date of 23 June 1877 for the Annie I am looking for.

By 1911 Annie and James Greenwood were living at 58 Farrer Street, Nelson, with three children, all born Nelson: Eva, 9; Harry Sutcliffe Greenwood, 7; William 4. Does anyone happen to have any later information for this family?

I was inclined to believe that I had found the correct Annie but have now seen that another researcher into the Bannister family has cited the death of an Annie Bannister in 1950, died Nelson aged 74. Although this one appears to be a year too old I thought I should have another crack at proving the Bannister Greenwood marriage!

Ruth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:45 am 
Spider Lady

I can't help with the parent query but while trying to find something, anything, stumbled on this titbit for James Sutcliffe Greenwood.

The Leeds and Yorkshire Mercury
Thursday, 18 June 1903
News in Brief
Three Burnley lads, Robert Stevenson, Thomas Jones, and James Sutcliffe Greenwood, on Monday walked to Blackpool. They slept in a barn all night, and passing through Accrington on the return journey Stevenson stole a box of chocolates, for which they were yesterday fined.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:38 pm 

Thanks for having a search for me. It's always good to get a glimpse of life as it was!

However, this miscreant, described as a 'lad', looks too young to be the James Sutcliffe Greenwood, born 1880 and husband of Annie nee Bannister, though it's likely they were related in some way.

On Lancs BMD I have found a James William Greenwood, mother's name Sutcliffe, born 1891, so aged 12 at the time of the crime and therefore a more likely suspect.

Ruth