Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Haggate Baptist Chapel
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:21 pm 

Several of my Duerden and Rawson ancestors were baptised and buried at Haggate Baptist Chapel.
One is eluding me - a William Rawson, father of John Rawson (c1830-1910). I have seen the transcription of the Haggate births that shows a John Rawson born to a William and Ellin in 1830, but cannot find a suitable William and Ellin in the census. In the 1841 census there is a John Rawson living with another John Rawson who I assume would be his grandfather; and there is a John Rawson with a son William, but this William married Nanny (Kippax). I am probably clutching at straws but felt I should check that the transcription is correct....

So my question is: I wonder if anyone knows where I might find the original registers for Haggate Baptist Chapel?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:45 pm 

Hello Peter,

I transcribed much of the earlier Haggate registers about 20 or 30 years ago, with one or two others (and am still here to tell the tale !). My typed copy (so it isn't actually one I transcribed) gives just as you say for the birth of John of William and Ellin. I think the original registers are still with the church (it might be better if they were at the Lancashire Record Office !).

There is a burial of Ellen 22 April 1822, no place or other detail given.

Rex Watson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:30 pm 

Hi Rex

Many thanks for your response - and many thanks for the sterling work you and your colleagues did so long ago. It has proved most helpful in tracking down some of my ancestors.

I may well be barking up the wrong tree with John Rawson's birth, but would like to check since the father and date fit and I haven't found any other likely candidate. I have now approached the Church via their website.

All good wishes
Peter Rowe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:41 pm 

Hello Rex

For information:
Haggate Baptist Church kindly responded promptly to my query, but, disappointingly for me, advised that: "Following the transcription of the registers the originals were archived and stored with our solicitors so unfortunately you are not able to view them."

Regards
Peter Rowe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:06 pm 

Thanks for letting me know, Peter.

It's disappointing that they not at all accessible. If they were at the Lancs Record Office in Preston they would be available I think. Of course that is a journey from Burnley.

Burnley library does have microfilm, poorish quality, which one had to use prior our transcription. Also, we stopped our burial transcription around 1865 I think, on the grounds that from about then on the film was easy enough to read. Of course, more recent registers may still be in use, including marriages.

Watch this space.

Rex

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:33 pm 

Hi, I think we might be related. William Rawson was baptised at Haggate on 1.9.1807 the son of John and Jenny Rawson. I was confused as I believed John was married to Jane, but I'm assured that Jenny can be a pet name for Jane.
William was married twice at least. First to Ellen Roberts on the17.5.1829. in St Barts Colne. She is the mother of John junior, born 22.5.1830. Ellen died on22.4.1832 and was buried at Haggate. In the 1841 census John is with his grandfather John. William had a daughter Jane with Nancy whom he married around1845. If you send me an email with specific requests I think I'll be able to fill in details.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:13 am 

I did a bit back make an enquiry of my contact at the church. The original registers are lodged with their solicitor for safe keeping. So not at Preston, but not available for public inspection.

Rex