Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:48 am 

Suzy ...is there a Cemsearch equivalent in Ontario?
Reason I ask is I'm wanting the transcription of an ancestor's grave in Woodlawn cemetery which is in Cornwall Ontario.
I realise you are probably not just around the corner from the Woodlawn Cemetery but I would be grateful for any advise you might be able to give me.

Glenys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:42 pm 

Hi Glenys,

I know this message was for Suzy but maybe I could offer some suggestions. I don't live anywhere near Cornwall but I'm a member of the Ontario Genealogical Society.

There isn't a branch in Cornwall but the closest one appears to be the Leeds and Grenville branch. Their website is www.leedsandgrenvillegenealogy.com You could email them and ask if they include Cornwall.

The Ontario Genealogical Society website is http://www.ogs.on.ca They might be able to help.

There is an Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid, with a database of surnames at http://www.islandnet.com/cgi-bin/ms2/jveinot/search Not all cemeteries are covered but they're still working on it.

The public library in Cornwall may be able to help as well. It's possible they have transcriptions. Google should take you to it.

Good luck!

Joan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:14 am 

Joan,

I thank you very much for the links and suggestions. Hadn't noticed that you also are in Canada. Thanks again,

Glenys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:08 pm 
Genealogist in Waiting

Thanks Joan for leaping into the fray! I wouldn't have been able to help anyway. I'm a neophyte to this game. You're an expert PollyAnna tells me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:47 pm 
Photographer

Glenys
Woodlawn Cemetery is mentioned on this link and apparently there are transcriptions available.

http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/English/i ... ormont.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:10 am 

Glenys, I have access to the Archives of Ontario. If you'd like me to have a look at the Woodlawn Cemetery film that's listed on the site that David mentioned, send me the details in a private email, and I'll do that.

Joan