Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Holt Hill's stone wall
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 3:26 am 

It's some years since I visited Briercliffe, but on a walk up to Holt Hill, I took a relative who did not know there was a wall full of ancestral initials. Almost all of them in the time of their carving, were of the Nuttall family. Lots of _N initials, including my mother IN.
This is a historic monument in its way, but I noticed on that walk that the wall - after possibly two centuries - was looking very saggy. Can anyone comment if Briercliffe Society members are aware of this wall (which sensibly shelters Holt Hill row (i.e. Halifax Road) from winds coming up from Catlow beyond). If it falls, will anyone be aware enough to attempt a 're-construction'. Perhaps it should be 'listed' (!)
In the '50s, we kids would attempt to make our mark, but I was a shy kid and my initials (then SQ) were not visible even then.
Why do I believe it's as old as it is? Because of the style of W which was used by at least one of my ancestors.
Any information, or discussion already covered on this subject, I'd be glad to know.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:32 am 
Computer Whizz

When we lived in Briercliffe I went past there 100s of times and have to admit I've never noticed any initials in the wall.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:52 am 

They are so old that they are as dark as the wall!