Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 1:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:40 pm 
Spider Lady

(1) Guided Nature Walks
HAPPA has organised a series of guided nature walks which will concentrate on the Happa site, on Blackhouse Lane (off Halifax Road) in Briercliffe. The walks are arranged by HAPPA volunteer and countryside enthusiast Mr. Barry Diskinson and it is hoped that the guided strolls around the beautiful site will attract local families and encourage everyone to enjoy what nature has to offer. Enjoy spotting wild flowers, insects and wild creatures as well as visiting the HAPPA horses that live at the Centre. An optional quiz sheet has been compiled. Further information can be had from Julie at the HAPPA Visitor Centre on 01282 455992.
The nature walks will be held on the last Sundays of each month through to September, 2008. Each walk starts at 2-30 p.m. and lasts for an hour. Please take with you good walking shoes. It is best to contact the Visitor Centre for details.

(2) Shores Hey Open Day
HAPPA, which runs the Horse Sanctuary at Shores Hey Farm, Blackhouse Lane, Briercliffe is organising an Open Day for Sunday 31st August 2008 from 12 noon until 4 p.m. The event will be one for the whole family - entertainment in the main school, stalls, raffle, tombola and much more. Everyone welcome.

http://www.happa.org.uk/

http://www.happa.org.uk/rcshoreshey.asp

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:31 pm 
Genealogist in Waiting

I had no idea! How wonderful. I now know what charity to support on the event of my father's demise......he always loved donkeys. One of my earliest memories is of him taking me with his father to say 'night, night' to the donkeys who had stables behind my grandparents chip shop in St. Anne's. It was a nightly ritual. He was concerned about their welfare...but the stable behind the shop had a kind fellow in charge... I remember my father asking him not to smoke inside the stables because of all the straw. I remember the fellow stopping what he was doing, take his fag out of his mouth...and show us that it was a pretend one! Somehow that impressed me greatly. I was 2 at the time.