Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:47 am 
Genealogist in Waiting

You've probably done this before or thought of it....but having a display of the photo archives for the public, who are asked to name those people who are unnamed...and those children in the school photos....might really promote interest in the village.
Sometime early in the Spring a 'call for photos' may encourage folk to donate more family pictures or what have you before they are put out for the binman!
If prizes could be donated, then a quiz or competition "name that person (or place) might be fun!
Does (or could) someone currently write a monthly (or so) article for the Burnley Express about the goings-on within the society? I should think some folk may be fascinated.....
The reason I mention this is that I have connected with a Burnley (former Briercliffe) person on-line who had no idea of your existence. (She sure does now!)
Just thinkin.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:46 am 
Spider Lady

They have had one previous photo exhibition last year. As far as I am aware, it was only pictures that are in the Briercliffe Society collection. This was all before the website was set up.
Roger does have a column in the Express. He has one where he tells of he goings on of the Parish, police reports that type of thing. He has also given the Society a mention in this column a couple of months back.

Sue, something your Dad might enjoy...Tuesdays Burnley Express has an article written each week by Roger. It's called Peek into the Past and usually features a picture of somewhere within Burnley accompanied by what Roger knows about it. http://www.burnleyexpress.net/sectionhome.aspx?sectionID=4114

As for the opportunity for people to name unknown faces, I'm all for it. I will certainly be sending copies of the ones on the site if Roger agrees to it.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!