Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:00 pm 

Hi Joan
Just the one Nichol in the records.

E2085 Job Nichol age 1 burial 7th July 1844 Workhouse Burnley
Curate: J Bardsley
Sorry there are not more.
best wishes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:39 pm 

Maggie, thank you for looking that up for me. I don't know if Job is connected. Nichol wasn't a common name in the area at that time.

Gloria, thanks for the reminder about Cemsearch. I have used the site before and found the people very helpful, but it had slipped my mind. I'm still searching for gamekeeper Adam Nichol and his wife Margaret. I have him in 1834 as gamekeeper to the Right Honourable Lord Montague, Lord of the Manor of Colne and the Forest of Trawden. I estimate he would be close to sixty at that time, but Margaret could have died earlier. They don't appear in the local 1841 census. Their son, William, is buried at Haggate.

Back to the drawing board.

Joan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:06 pm 
Computer Whizz

Found this on this site under church records
Wilkinson Nichol Parker, Burnley Lane, age 9 months, died 24th Oct 1877, Church of Briercliffe.
I know that doesn't help you as far back as Adam but it may be something you haven't got.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:53 pm 
Computer Whizz

I got sent a file a while ago and on it is
Adam Nicholl, gamekeeper to General Scarlett, spouse Margaret Mcneil.
Children- Catherine 1802, Joan and Adam.
Catherine married John Parker 3rd April 1820.
Notes-from Arthur Parker family tree.
Is this of any help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:01 pm 

Gloria, a similar file was sent to me not long ago by a correspondent, and yes, it is the same family. Adam and Margaret came from Dumfries about 1800. Their daughter, Jennet, born c1799, Catherine's sister, was my 3x great grandmother. She married Joseph Stanworth in 1819. I have nothing on children Joan and Adam.

One of Adam Sr's duties in 1834 was to kill game for the use of the Rev William Thursby of Ormerod House. I believe this was in Cliviger so there must be a link with Cliviger and the Forest of Trawden, where Adam was the gamekeeper. I've found these places on a map and they don't seem very close so maybe the link was in the administration of the land, or family relationships. As you can see, I'm casting around for clues, but need to read up on manorial records in the area.

Wilkinson Nichol Parker was probably from the Catherine Nichol/John Parker line, and is thus related.

Joan

Last edited by Joan on Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:01 pm 

Joan if you email bereavementservices@burnley.gov.uk
a very helpful lady called Susan might be able to help you. If your ancestors are buried in Burnley cemetery she will send you burial details of all who are buried in the one grave.
Happy hunting
regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:12 pm 

Maggie, I'll try that, thank you. I haven't yet found the burial places of Jennet Stanworth and her husband Joseph, both of whom died after Burnley cemetery was opened. They aren't in the burial places listed on this site.

Joan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:38 pm 
Spider Lady

Joan wrote:
They aren't in the burial places listed on this site.
Joan

At the risk of stating the obvious Joan, my transcriptions aren't complete...have you checked the records at source?

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:32 pm 

Mel, I realize your transcriptions aren't complete. I just meant these two Stanworths aren't on the site as yet. I struck a goldmine, though, with your transcriptions of Todd and some other Stanworths at St. John's, Worshorne.

I've tried St. James, Briercliffe burial records from film and Haggate Baptist and St. John's, Cliviger M.I.s from fiche; also St. Peter's burial records from an LDS film, but that was before I started working on Stanworths and Nichols. The LDS Church family history library has been my main source in the past.

Joan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:04 pm 
Computer Whizz

Are the people who are cremated at the crematorium at Burnley cemetery listed under Burnley Cemetery, if not, could they have been cremated Joan?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:54 pm 

Gloria, thanks for your suggestion. I'm not sure when cremation began in Burnley, or where people are listed. Some of my later people could have been cremated so it's worth looking into. Jennet Stanworth died at Mustyhalgh Farm, Briercliffe, on July 20, 1892. There was an obituary in the Burnley Express, probably because of her age, 94. I have a copy of it, but it doesn't say where she was buried.

Joan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:19 pm 
Spider Lady

What a coincidence, my Nans sister lived at Musty Halgh for a while. sometime during the 1940's 1950's I think..possibly later. Would have to ask Mum.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:04 pm 

According to a very knowledgeable elderly gentleman whom I met in Burnley library this week the crematorium was not opened until the mid 1950s. If this info is wrong I apologise. I have emailed Burnley Council to ask them and I will post their reply on the forum.
Have a nice weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:53 pm 
Spider Lady

I have a feeling someone recently told me it was earlier than this Maggie though I may be thinking of a completely different crematorium!
The one in SoT opened in the 1950's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:33 pm 

Mel, I believe Mustyhalgh Farm has been divided into more than one dwelling. My Dent family lived there from 1841, maybe earlier, until about 1880. Thomas Dent was a farmer and also owned a quarry, Dent's Delph. His wife, Mary, was the eldest daughter of Jennet and Joseph Stanworth, which may be why Jennet lived there later.

When I visited Briercliffe two years ago I was able to meet with the current owners of Mustyhalgh. My friend, (Pollyanna from this site) had arranged it ahead of time. They were very willing to sit and chat about the house, and took us around, including to the old cellars. It was a fabulous experience to be in the house where generations of my family had lived, one of many highlights of my visit.

Joan