Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bank Farm Wind Turbines
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:07 pm 

Hello to everyone, this is my first post so you'll have to forgive me if I am bringing in a controversial blog but I feel as many people as possible should know about the about. Burnley Council have been very lax in notifying people and as such we have not been given enough time to lodge objections.

Are you aware that application has been made for 2 wind-turbines over 60' high to the tips of the blades. These will be visible for miles around, decimating the value of homes and worse still they will have a profound affect on wild-life such as Barn Owls, Hawks, Herons & Bats as well as migratory birds. Added to this I believe the site is of Historical interest (can Mr. Frost confirm?).

If you don't want to see decimation of wild-life and ALSO a great devaluation of your property then everyone needs to act fast and in numbers if this is to be prevented. Check link to planning office below or via website planning applications and insert number app/2011/0428

http://www.burnley.gov.uk/site/scripts/ ... etails.php

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:03 pm 
Spider Lady

Welcome to the forum.

I wonder how many were aware?

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:57 am 
Spider Lady

The link above didn't go to the application. Hopefully this one will

http://www.burnley.gov.uk/site/scripts/ ... ppID=17133

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:20 am 
Computer Whizz

I think this is a very controversial subject nationwide and I don't really know the answer. Similar concerns must have been voiced over electric pylons when they first came into being.
As a nation we definitely need something to power our needs and there never seems to be a good place to put these turbines.
I am not saying I am for these, but I don't see anyone at the moment coming up with a better alternative. I have always been an advocate of using the tide, as it goes in and goes out twice a day, but there are many objections to that.
As I said I am not trying to be controversial, just wondering about alternatives if there are any.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:20 am 
Spider Lady

I am quite divided by this topic. I do feel there is a need for renewable energy but then in the same breath....not in my back yard.
Central France seems to have the right idea. These windfarms line the side of the motorway. There are few houses in the area...seems like a good place to put them. That said, I wonder what local opinion was when the plans for them went in.

This caught my eye this morning http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... bines.html
My first thought - that's a fantastic use of these ugly monstrosities but then my brain kicked in and I think it's such a shame to ruin what is effectively a museum these days. How can people flock to the area to 'learn traditional rural activities' when the place is being modernised?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:22 am 

Mel wrote:
Welcome to the forum.

I wonder how many were aware?

It would seem that at first not many because there seemed to have been a faux-pas by Burnley Council informing people who are likely to be affected (or was it a genuine mistake??). The application was made 1st Sept and objections to be in by 27th with no letters sent out. This has now been extended until 14th Oct.

Consider the following a) Value of houses around can lose up to 30% of their value. Comfort can be taken in by the fact you will be hlping line the pockets of two already wealthy business men and a Scottish Company who have no interest in the area. b) The windmills have been planned so the two occupants/applicants will not be able to see them c) They will form as big a view on the skyline same as when looking along the motorway and seeing the chimneys in Harle Syke; also from may different areas in and around Burnley d) They are planned directly in line with migratory paths of birds coming in to Walverden, Coldwell, Foulridge e) We have very many species of Birds of Prey i.e. hawks and Owls together with several colonies of Bats. After at least a 10 year absence we are seeing Curlews/Peewits nesting again in the field concerned. f) The field is of local Maedieval Historic value and should have been listed as such. g) The farm is not a working one and as such does not need the power generated by 2 turbines, even 1 produces more than needed for their domestic uses; this is purely and simply a commercial development with no concern for the affect it will have on the area or people. QUESTION; Would you continue doing business with people who have de-valued your house, ruined views of great outstanding beauty and do not care a fig about it??

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:57 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

I'm very torn on this one. Like Gloria, my preferred option is wave power, but I do believe wind power is a good source of energy. Compared to oil/coal/gas burning power stations wind turbines produce much less pollution and must surely be more preferable to live near to. And nuclear power, I beieve, is just storing up porblems for future generations
I know in the past people must have railed against having power stations close by and this is just a more modern variation on an old problem.
All that said, I doubt I'd want a wind turbine at the bottom of my garden.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:28 am 
Spider Lady

http://www.burnleyexpress.net/community ... _1_3930763

At a meeting of Briercliffe Parish Council, chairman Coun. Roger Frost told residents a planning application, for a small wind farm development above Lane Bottom had been withdrawn.
The applicants have been asked, by borough council officers, to undertake further work on the application. The application still stands and, when the additional work has been completed, further consideration will be given to the application. Unless there are substantial changes, there will be no further public consultation. The chairman apologises for any confusion caused.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:56 pm 

I will declare an interest straight away... I think wind power is fantastic and I see I am not entirely alone in that thinking. I am always disappointed that the obvious advantages of this very clean, ultra low maintenance, form of power are so easily dismissed by opponents, who it seems to me are scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to quite a few of their claims e.g. noise, damage to wildlife etc.

On the "acceptable to view" front, it seems to me that a lot depends on the eye of the beholder; in Harle Syke we have two remaining chimneys from the days of cotton (one still actively emitting greenhouse gasses [that's soot to most of us]). These two brick monstrosities are much bigger than the two proposed turbines that sparked all the recent hullabaloo... to my knowledge no one has ever complained about them as an eyesore, and little will be done about it even if they do, and that includes protests over any emissions; Why? Because time has rendered them invisible to even this writer, but crucially they are deemed part of our heritage. Amazing!

So if we were to let matters take their course, then in 50 or 60 years these two turbines (which while I am at it, in no way constitute a "FARM") will be part of "our Heritage" and anyone wishing to modify them may well have to seek planning permission.

Its a funny old world.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:29 am 
Computer Whizz

I must admit I agree with the comments from Colcge re the mill chimneys, no one would have complained about them in the past as they meant work, and I doubt there was a vehicle to make such a complaint in those days anyway.
Nowadays I find these solar panels on house roofs are more of an eyesore.

Gloria

I'd be dangerous with a brain.