Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 1:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:05 am 
Spider Lady

The British Newspaper Archive is a partnership between the British Library and brightsolid online publishing to digitise up to 40 million newspaper pages from the British Library's vast collection over the next 10 years.

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

This is not a free site but for those of us who do not live in the city, it's probably cheaper than a visit to the archive! Registration is free and I think searches are free but have not yet had chance to check the site out fully.

Edit: I have managed to find some costing info....
A page from a newspaper published over 107 years ago (B&W) or scanned from microfilm (B&W) will cost 5 credits.

A page from a newspaper publlished over 107 years ago (colour) will cost 10 credits.

A page from a newspaper publlished within the last 107 years will cost 15 credits

12 Month Subscription Price: £79.95 GBP
30 Day Package Credits: 3000 Price: £29.95 GBP
2 Day Package Credits: 500 Price: £6.95 GBP

It will be busy. The site only launched this morning and BBC Breakfast have a feature on it so, if past high profile launches are anything to go by, the site will crash :shock:

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:13 am 
Spider Lady

Newspapers currently available for those interested in the Burnley region are

Burnley Express 1878 - 1903
Burnley Advertiser 1853 - 1880
Burnley Gazette 1863 - 1867
Lancaster Gazette 1801-1894
Preston Chronicle 1831 - 1893

Don't forget that the Preston Chronicle (amongst others) is accessible through the libraries Online Reference Library (OnRL) if you have a member card. http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/onrl/
If you don't already have a card, anyone in the UK can join. Follow this link http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/libraries/ ... n_form.asp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:27 pm 
Computer Whizz

Thanks Mel. I have just been watching it on the news and I think you are right about it crashing---everybody and their dad will be trying it out.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:41 am 
Spider Lady

They've altered the subscription info to include approx. cost per image. I'm guessing others struggled to find the pricing info like I did!

Not too keen on the bookmark function. It only shows paper title and date and not the story preview as shown in the search results. I had hoped to store what I was interested in and then prune it to the ones more important to me to figure out which sub would be best value for me. Looks like it will have to be a notebook instead. Looking forward to doing it though. Wonder if I will find anything new?

Still a great resource though :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:03 am 
Spider Lady

I'm going to have a bash at the newspaper site this week. Still not decided if I should go for the cheapest or the mid subscription...probably the middle one. I've got a couple of days set aside for later in the week when we are holed up with the log fires burning. Can't wait! :lol: