Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: quaker charity documnets
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:49 pm 

Elsewhere on the site (not sure where !), posted sometime ago, you will find some information about an 1843 Quaker charity document, covering Marsden and Briercliffe, also Cop Row. I have a copy, and offered to do look ups. There was some take up of this offer at the time, and of course it still stands.

I have recently obtained from Manchester Local History library copies of two further similar documents, and am again happy to do look ups. (The library is happy with this (no charge !) arrangement.) As follows.

1819 Marsden (and Barrowford). Just over 100 head of household names assessed, with details of their circumstances, and of aid disbursed, also a list of the contributors to this aid.

1829 Marsden, similar (not contributors, nor of aid given)), about 300 names.

These three documents are all notebooks of Ann Ecroyd, a leading Quaker. There are others in the collection (Farrer papers). The 1843 one was used by Roger Frost in his Briercliffe book, and by me in an article in Local Population Studies in 1995.

Again, queries welcome.

Rex