Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 6:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ancestry.com
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:14 pm 
Computer Whizz

Thanks Kris well done, but have they changed the site? I couldn't find them anywhere---Mel would call it age :wink:

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:32 pm 
Willfinder General

Gloria wrote:
Hi Kris, I was helping Joan who has posted on the Surname Interests thread. I couldn't get anywhere with it, so tried looking for one of my own who lived "down Cockden" in the 1841 census, I have the census printed off. I thought if I could get in the area I could walk about so to speak.
The one I have in Cockden is James Brierley head 45yrs weaver, it is mistranscribed as Briearley, he is living with his sister Betty, his wife Martha and their five children.
I did a normal search using each one seperately but couldn't find them. I have always found them before.

Ancestry mis-transcribed the name as Briealey (there is no “r”)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:44 am 
Spider Lady

I don't know that the search is any worse than it has ever been. I've never thought a lot of the ancestry search function but have found my own methods of beating it. That said, the 1841 is terrible to read in places and I would hate to have to transcribe an area that was unfamiliar to me which is what the ancestry staff probably had to do. You get used to the surnames in an area after a while and the familiarity can be a huge help.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:53 am 
Computer Whizz

Got it now Kris thanks, thought I was going funny, couldn't find them anywhere---all good fun.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:18 am 
Spider Lady

Origins won't be getting my cash! I've signed up for the 72 hour access and am not very impressed at all. They use a very strange viewer for their 'tiff' files. So far, I have been unable to view anything! Not because I don't have the viewer (jumped thrugh those hoops) but because I keep getting a 'server runtime error'.

This is only the first hour of the 72! At this rate I will be abandonning Origins before I reach the second hour. :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:52 am 
Spider Lady

I've given up. They do have some interesting collections, different to Ancestry and Findmypast but having found absolutely nothing of relevance, found it a complete waste of time.

I wouldn't have thought Origins is much use if you are just starting out with your research either. Many of the record collections seem to be pre 1850 and in some cases only cover the 18th and 17th centuries (& earlier).
There seems to be a good coverage for the south (London) and Yorkshire but not much in between.

The one thing I do like is the 72 hour access plan. It's an affordable taster and I think all sites should offer it as an option instead of the 'pay as you go' credits which I think limit the use of a site.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:49 am 
Spider Lady

Finally taken out a new subsrcription. I have gone with The Genealogist. Just a 6 month sub for now while I find my way around. I've not yet used the census but the blurb says it's transcripts, would have preferred images but I don't think I have a lot to look for in the census these days. What I really really like is the church records. They are images of the Non-Conformist/Non-Parochial Chapel registers that are currently held at the National Archives. From what I have seen so far....really pleased. Maybe I will knock down a wall or two? I have already taken one line back a notch by finding a baptism which gave parents of the child but also the mothers father.
It's possibly not the best site for someone who is only just starting out with the research.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:31 pm 
Computer Whizz

Mel, how are you finding The Genealogist? My renewal for Ancestry is due at the end of next month, I won't be staying with them and am looking for something else.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:01 pm 
Spider Lady

I love it Gloria. Best decision I have made...not missing ancestry at all. Census images are available. The only thing I would pick fault with is the search. If you want to view a specific household, you can't search on census ref.

Definitely value for money. I only took out a 6 month sub to try it but it'll be 12 month when renewal time comes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:39 pm 
Computer Whizz

Thanks Mel, I have a month to decide. I feel quite lost when I don't have access to records, even though I may not dib in from one week to the next.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:37 pm 
Spider Lady

I'm not sure if I have seen an offer in m-in-laws magazine. Will check it in morning.

Census search is not impossible - I have learned to live with it and make it work for me

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:26 pm 
Computer Whizz

"Census search is not possible" in what way-----do you mean it wouldn't bring up all the "Kippax" say in 1851 Lancashire, or it wouldn't bring up a specific person?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:25 pm 
Spider Lady

It's not impossible (you put possible :? )

It would bring up all cases of Kippax and variants I think but if there were a lot of results, it's difficult to narrow it down. Ancestry search box gives loads of options....TG doesn't. There is a keyword box and that's it other than names. If you were to put a birth year in the keyword box, it would only search on that year, there is no option for the +\- like you get with ancestry.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:49 pm 
Computer Whizz

Ah I understand now :roll:

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:09 am 
Spider Lady

So glad it's not just me and so glad it's not an issue anymore anyway!

http://lostcousins.com/newsletters/may10news.htm

Why I prefer old-style Ancestry searches

Over the past year I've mentioned on many occasions that I prefer the old-style searches at Ancestry - but I've suddenly realised that newer Ancestry users might be wondering what I'm talking about, or why it matters.

The old system allowed one to carry out precise searches, or to use wildcards to allow for errors or other discrepancies. Once I'd mastered the system I could do all sorts of wonderful things, such as search for a family using forenames alone - a great way to overcome badly-mistranscribed surnames. Of course, to achieve all this I had to tick the 'Exact matches only' box, otherwise I was showered with so many matches that I didn't want that I couldn't find the ones I was looking for!

The new system probably isn't intended for experienced users like me. It seems to have been designed for people who don't know what they are doing, in order that they can get some results - even if they are the wrong ones - rather than none at all. I hate it! Don't get me wrong, I'm all for encouraging beginners - I just wish Ancestry could have achieved this without messing things up for the people who do know what they're doing.

Fortunately it is possible to switch back to the old-style searches - if you know how. First go to Ancestry, then choose Search All Records from the Search tab. On the next page look at the far right end of the navigation bar - you should see the words Old Search or New Search just below the bar. Click to switch to the other type of search - and see how you get on.

(In the unlikely event that there are some experienced Ancestry users out there who think the new-style searches are better, by all means tell me why you've come to that conclusion - preferably with some real examples.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next